6R75 Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience on removal of a 6R75 or 6R80 transmission? My ‘07 6R75 with 140k threw a wrench on the dash and a P0741 (Torque Converter clutch stuck off). Instead of a full rebuilt (estimate of $3,200), I’m leaning toward ordering a used low mileage 6R75 transmission out of a insurance totaled out expy from keystone/LKQ......

It’s a shame this trans shifts good and doesn’t slip but the TC clutch has decided to stop locking up at highway speeds the RPM is slightly higher. NYs will not pass the vehicle at inspection time with this code even though it doesn’t effect safety at all...

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to update I took it in and had it diagnosed. The fluid was bright red and in good shape according to professionals. Said it shifted well. What we did for now was changed all the fluid over to make sure it still functions properly. Still shifts good. They said knowing the transmission is healthy to go ahead and just replace the torque converter alone and not to rebuild the transmission. So I ordered a new torque converter. They said they’ve done them on a few mustangs and have had no issues just resolving the torque converter so long as the fluid isn’t burned. So this is the route I’m taking. No new transmission will just be swapping out the TC.
I think thats a good choice.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the HD tow package may have saved me some more headache here with the bigger cooler compensating, it looks like fluid wasn’t burned and just converter can be replaced.

Last edited:

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Just curious what the cost is for the TC alone. And are you doing the work or the shop?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the cost is for the TC alone. And are you doing the work or the shop?

Thinking the trans shop, the TC part is cheap alone. A place here in buffalo refurbishes/rebuilds them for the 6R60,6R75, 6R80, 6R100, 6R140 etc it’s about $200 plus core. It’s mostly labor to drop the old one out.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission shop replaced the Valve Body/Solenoids along with a software update and it works like new again.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1.5 weeks we (me and some help) will be dropping the transmission out and replacing the Torque Converter. TC problems persist. Have the rebuilt converter now. I’ll update with a step by step walkthrough on complete TC replacement from beginning to end. Thanks to the Mustang and F-150 forums I’ve gotten a taste as a few other guys have done this job as well! (albeit they had the 6R80). Relatively minor job and no internal work required.

Remove starter, disconnect trans wiring and shift, Drop out driveshafts, separate T-case from trans, remove cross member and bell housing bolts, lower trans out and remove and replace old converter. Repeat in reverse.

Last edited:

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Ah, sorry to hear it's still giving you trouble. But look forward to the walkthrough!