6R80 Transmission Groan/Buzz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone else has encountered this issue. I have a 2015 two wheel drive Expedition. I'm a relaxed driver so I accelerate slowly as opposed to racing from light to light. I've come to notice that when accelerating lightly (especially on hills or rolling onto the gas pedal) in higher gears, there's a distinct groan accompanied by a rattling/vibration.

Most notably, it can be heard just after the transmission shifts from third to fourth with rpm below 2000 if I'm casually accelerating. In this state, the gearing is tall, rpm is low and thus the transmission is subjected to greater torsional stress. If I'm accelerating quickly it doesn't occur due to the higher rpm before shifts which lowers the torsional stress through the transmission).

This sounds exactly like the TSB 14-0134 pertinent to 2013-2014 F150s where the valve body separator plate actually had passages too small that under certain conditions would cause the transmission fluid to cavitate resulting in the groan and vibration.

I have the 3.15 rear end, so in a low rpm and higher gear, there's even more stress on the transmission as opposed to the expeditions with the 3.73 rear end. So perhaps due to this, the groan and vibration isn't seen in expeditions with the the 3.73s because the operating condition that results in the vibration and groan (even if the valve body separator plates were the same) is never reached. However that is just speculation on my part.

I brought it to the dealer today and was given the run around even after directly replicating the noise to the tech. He indicated that with the taller rear end gears (3.15s) in a low rpm state, "I'm essentially tricking the transmission" which sounds asinine for an explanation. If the loading condition were such that the stress on the transmission/what the engine can handle was too great, it should subsequently shift down to a lower gear. However, it does not. The groaning and vibration occur throughout the acceleration until the rpm rises enough to exit whatever operating condition is inducing it to begin with. To me, this indicates that at this rpm and loading condition, the engineers at Ford determined the transmission can handle it just fine and the ecoboost engine makes enough power to operate in this range. This supports the idea that it is very likely that this is a design issue with orifice sizing in the separator plate.

Bottom line, just seeing if anyone else has run into this issue since the TSB 14-0134 sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. It's just that Ford released the TSB for 2013 and 2014 F150s, Expeditions and Navigators and mine is a 2015. Going to another dealer to show them the issue for a second opinion.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expediton 4x4, purchased new.

Is there any chance the sound you hear is the turbos? I live in a very hilly (not mountainous) area. When I accelerate gently uphilll in 2WD, just before the transmission would downshift (such as a high load on the engine and the vacuum would drop), the engine makes a growling noise.

If I accclerate lightly, and cause the transmission to downshift, the noise goes away. If the transmission remains in the same gear (3-5) with very light pedal application, the noise remains.

I can also duplicate the noise by driving on a level roadway, at about 30-50 mph. If I maintain my speed with light pedal application (almost as if I’m coasting), and then gently apply the accelerator, the noise appears.

The dealer has been no help and I’ve assumed the noise is a characteristic of the turbos, although nothing is mentioned in the owner’s manual.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem is with that Tsb bulletin, is that your later vehicle may have the earlier transmission. Happens with manufactures using up last year's parts. If say Ford has 100 left over 2014 6r80 transmissions, the top guys say if everything's identical, pop them in. They try to get parts for new vehicles sent the just in time method, but overruns happen. I'd push a dealer if not that one to do the Tsb on yours, or at very least fix your problem. Another thing I've always suggested, if possible drive another vehicle same year as yours. Maybe the used car Dept, can accommodate you. Good idea on using a different dealer. Sounds like your guys are lazy, and could care less about customer service.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem is with that Tsb bulletin, is that your later vehicle may have the earlier transmission. Happens with manufactures using up last year's parts. If say Ford has 100 left over 2014 6r80 transmissions, the top guys say if everything's identical, pop them in. They try to get parts for new vehicles sent the just in time method, but overruns happen. I'd push a dealer if not that one to do the Tsb on yours, or at very least fix your problem. Another thing I've always suggested, if possible drive another vehicle same year as yours. Maybe the used car Dept, can accommodate you. Good idea on using a different dealer. Sounds like your guys are lazy, and could care less about customer service.

Didn't I JUST have an embolism over this on the transmission thread??????

I'm GONNA BLOW!!!!!

Mountain DEW to the rescue? maybe

OP
OP
ads245

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@99WhiteC5Coupe what you are describing sounds quite similar to what I'm experiencing, however I still think given the operating conditions that produce it, that it is transmission related.

@1955moose the build date on my transmission is March of 2015 which was after the duration covered by the TSB. Logically speaking, if Ford released the TSB before my transmission was built I should have the corrected parts within it. Perhaps it is something else. Either way, I know it's not right and the dealer I went to had no idea what they're talking about when they say "I'm tricking the transmission." I'll see what this other dealer says when I take it in next week. I'll report back.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well there you go. Get ahold of the service rep in your area, speak your mind. The squeaky wheel gets greased. Never be a doormat. They may hate you, but you know what, it's your SUV not theirs. Be a ***** if need be. You think rich people are nice? Naw, they cry about every friggin thing in their life. And when that doesn't work, their lawyer does the crying for them!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Flash your Transmission control module, by disconnecting battery and turning on headlights(to drain off memory voltage). The transmission will re-learn its shifting.

Last edited:

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
@ads245

I think what you describe is a similar thing I hear. I have the 3.73 rear end and I notice it just a very slow acceleration between gear 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 at slow speeds like 20-40mph. I have to be driving like a grandma to hear it but there is something there right at gear shift. I've been dealing with a separate steering issue since I bought it (just resolved) that I haven't had time to pay a lot of attention to it but just doesn't sound right to me.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had this in an Explorer, and the dealer had left the case 2 quarts low. Have you checked the fluid level with the thing warmed up?

OP
OP
ads245

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MyExpedition2016 exactly when mine does it. The fact that yours does what seems to be the same thing with 3.73s nullifies the dealer telling me it’s because I have taller rear end gears.

@Trainmaster Fluid level is good. Just replaced the fluid and filter as well to see if that would remedy anything. Still does it.

Have an appt with a different dealer on Friday. Hopefully they’ll be of more help than the last.