6R80 Transmission Groan/Buzz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are always spinning on the ones I've seen but the wastegate (valve) controls how much boost goes into the intake or maybe it lets less exhaust power the turbo in some setups.
Every one that I have ever seen (not 3.5 though) spin anytime you give them some gas.
You 'could' stop the turbine on cold side with finger but I wouldn't recommend it for finger reasons or turbine wheel etc damage.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question guys. I don't know much about turbos, but can he temporary disarm them, pull a plug of some sort, and take it for a ride. Or are they always running?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
As long as exhaust gas is flowing, your turbines are spinning. You can disable a supercharger, not a turbine.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
A turbo adds air. More air, needs more fuel. Without a functioning or failing turbo, the engine will flood or run extremely rich. Running rich, will kill the catalytic converters, pretty quick. If the oil bypasses the seals, it will get ingested, into the intake. The oil fouled engine, may need major repairs. The compressed air will push grenaded metal fragments, through engine. Again, nightmare time.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that answers my question. Too bad though, because you can disarm or check any other item that makes noise, I guess it's a matter of swap out an expensive turbo, or related part, and keep your fingers crossed your right. Wonder how many shops and dealers misdiagnosed turbo noises?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A turbo adds air. More air, needs more fuel. Without a functioning or failing turbo, the engine will flood or run extremely rich. Running rich, will kill the catalytic converters, pretty quick. If the oil bypasses the seals, it will get ingested, into the intake. The oil fouled engine, may need major repairs. The compressed air will push grenaded metal fragments, through engine. Again, nightmare time.

That depends on the design and if the engine fuel management system adds fuel based on boost. The old Pontiac 301 turbo for instance had a 4 barrel carb and a turbo. If the turbo stopped pushing air (boosting) the gas still dumped in.
With a lot of FI turbo cars the fuel injector duty cycle and the fuel pressure is increased with boost and can be controlled by ecm and then some people have in cab controllers to crank boost and/or fuel up from inside.