7.3L output guesses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why’s that? It would have less power than the GM 6.2, would it get worse gas mileage than a Denali or Escalade?

I think lots of folks would love a V8 in the expy and navi

Ford engineers are on record as stating that the displacement was chosen specifically to maximize fuel economy at high loads. People with half ton vehicles probably aren't towing at heavy loads very frequently and may also use the vehicle as a daily driver. Yes, a V8 might be popular, but this one would be oversized for a half ton chassis. It's designed specifically for the Ford Super Duty vehicles, which are used primarily for work.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford engineers are on record as stating that the displacement was chosen specifically to maximize fuel economy at high loads. People with half ton vehicles probably aren't towing at heavy loads very frequently and may also use the vehicle as a daily driver. Yes, a V8 might be popular, but this one would be oversized for a half ton chassis. It's designed specifically for the Ford Super Duty vehicles, which are used primarily for work.

Yep, this is why the 5.4 Triton is a good half ton engine. Not too big, not too small with good torque. Just was time for Ford to do something new. I can get 20 MPG on the highway with my 5.4 and tow 9,000 pounds, good jack of all trades motor. The 5.0 doesn’t have the low end grunt of the 5.4.....hence why it didn’t replace the 5.4 applications.

A 7.3 is big for a lighter half ton but is perfect for a 250. It will be a good engine for towing and daily driving in a 3/4+ ton with the extra curb weight and proper gearing as it won’t be working hard to push the weight around.

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they make the Excursion again...maybe put that in there as an option. Otherwise Ford is doing well with the Turbo motors.

Did you see what they are going to get HP/TQ wise in the 2020 Aviator?

"the Aviator's hybrid model — manages a whopping 494 horsepower and 630 lb-ft of torque"

Just saying if they can produce these numbers reliably, why put a 7.3 in a half ton application?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, this is why the 5.4 Triton is a good half ton engine. Not too big, not too small with good torque. Just was time for Ford to do something new. I can get 20 MPG on the highway with my 5.4 and tow 9,000 pounds, good jack of all trades motor. The 5.0 doesn’t have the low end grunt of the 5.4.....hence why it didn’t replace the 5.4 applications.

A 7.3 is big for a lighter half ton but is perfect for a 250. It will be a good engine for towing and daily driving in a 3/4+ ton with the extra curb weight and proper gearing as it won’t be working hard to push the weight around.
i never got more than 17 with my 5.4 in my 2010 f150 crew cab 3.55 gears...and it was horrible at tq..i may have had a turkey. but it was a disappointment. but i was partial to my superduties with tons of diesel torque

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new 21 foot boat today for a little project with the EL, probably around 3,000 pounds. The 5.4 didn’t even know it was there, maybe it’s the 3.73s in the Expeditions. Cruised along in 6th and only downshifted once up a steep bridge to 4th.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new 2020 Silverado HD? Man that’s bad....