'97-'02 Amp/Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Howey

Reaction score
So ive been looking for awhile, and I finally found the amp and subwoofers Id like. Amp is a Sony Xplod XM-2200GTX (1200w) and subs are (2) 12" Hifonics HFX D4 (400w-800w). Im pretty happy with what ive found but my only question is if im going to be able to use the factory amp still. Im planning on unplugging the factory sub and using that harness cable (with modifacations of adding rca tips) as the path to the sony amp, so i wont have to get a new head unit with rca outputs/inputs. Basically head unit -to- car speakers -to- factory amp -to- sony amp -to- 12" subs is what im imagining. Is this going to be possible??

-plus im going to use a seperate car battery as the power sorce for the subs/amp

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at one point i left the factory sub connected...i bought an signal converter and used the sub amp for the input and connected the amp rca's to that...this was done with my factory HU...then when i went pioneer i left the amp setup as it was...i just now ran my amp to my HU...they cost $7-$15...tie them in to your speaker the connect rca to it...rca to amp and you have BASS

IMG00145-20110525-0950.jpg
IMG00143-20110525-0949.jpg

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That amp has a high level imput as well, meaning if you got it new it should have a 2 4 pin harnesses to take the speaker wire right from the stock amp to the new sony amp

OP
OP
Howey

Howey

Reaction score
Freeway those pics you posted are exactly what im tryna do! I looked at some signal converters from soniceletronix.com but i dont understand which one im going to need to get. Will a need a bigger one that will have enough watts to match the amount in my sony amp?? Cuz the one you got up there doesnt look complicated at all.

And could one of you tell me or show me how to hook the signal converter's multiple input cables into the factory amp's harness' plastic input tip like Freeway did up there??

OP
OP
Howey

Howey

Reaction score
Im buying a signal converter for the factory amp today, but how many watts does it need to have to work in my 1200w sony amp??

Or does the amount of watts need to match the factory amp??

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a signal converter and that's all it does. It doesn't put out any additional power.

OP
OP
Howey

Howey

Reaction score
Signal Converter for Factory Amp

Here's what the back of my expy looks like so far. Just got the signal converter, so now the confusing connecting part...

Do I connect the signal converter cables to the factory harness cables??
Or do I completely unplug the factory amp cables and connect the signal converter cables to the harness intup??

DSC08181.jpg

DSC08184.jpg