97 expedition PATS issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DannyExpy

Reaction score
I've read through all the PATS threads.
I have a 97 exp with 1 key. A while back i was going to add a second key and I think I couldn't do it with
forscan.. i cant' remember or maybe it was the duplicate key not working, not sure but anyway it didnt' get done.
That was some months back.

I sold it to someone i know. They were driving it and the truck cut off. The mechanic changed the fuel pump
and is now claiming PATS issues. I've got extra transponder chips and forscan. I've read that if you cycle the
ignition to acc 8 times and leave it on on the 8th it will accept keys.
i'm also wondering if maybe she has a bad ecu because it seems weird that pats would just forget the key.

oh new update, she said she smelled something burning in the truck when she plugged in her phone so she unplugged it.. i'm thinking maybe something electronic burned up.

thought i'd post here for your thoughts.

OP
OP
D

DannyExpy

Reaction score
oh one mroe thing, my excursion key turns her lock i think.. either ign or door but not both lol.. maybe i can make something happen.

darn i misplaced my transponder chips.

does pats cut fuel pump and spark or just pump?

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PATS kills the fuel pump and injectors. In ForScan you should see at least one programmed key in the system. You should see no error code if the key in the ignition is recognized by the PATS system already ( already programmed into the system... like your working key...). You will see a code 1601 if the key in the ignition is acceptable but needs to be programmed into the system. Any other code means the key probably won't work. Check the fuse box for blown fuses if she smelled smoke. If you only have one working key in your possession you have to tell ForScan to delete all keys from memory and start from scratch. By deleting, then installing new keys into the system. Have the keys cut at Walmart or Home Depot or someplace before you start trying to program them into the vehicle because they have to be cycled ON and OFF during programming. But it will work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DannyExpy

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate you sharing that knowledge with me. It surely will be helpful.

OP
OP
D

DannyExpy

Reaction score
Looks like the PCM is fried. Anyone know if i can just swap in one from a salvage yard or is there some programming that needs to be done?

OP
OP
D

DannyExpy

Reaction score
yea i saw a post.. she's going ot order one from flagship one with her vin

OP
OP
D

DannyExpy

Reaction score
Man this this is kicking my ass lol ordered the online airlink? provided vin.
the security flashing went back to normal. truck would start up and then turn off after 3 seconds. didn't learn until later from the owner (and pcm buyer) that you have to relearn the key or something. (turn to on pisition, wait 15 min, 1 second off, repeat 2 more times). Didn't get around to doing that..

Then the security started flashing rapidly again.. later I found that the battery wire going to the alternator burned up and burned into a wire in front of the throttle body. I have put electrical tape over the exposed wire and a new wire protector plastic loom over it and taped it up.. fuses still seem to be good.

I'm starting to think the new pcm fried through a backfeed of 12v.. that sucks because that thing was like $175.

If i recall the wire burned into was brown..
I guess shouldnt assume the worst. I believe teh ground for the pcm is next to the starter solenoid. i couldn't pul it as i didn't have a deep socket. It looked decent.

I guess i need to pull the pcm harness off and check for power and ground..

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DannyExpy

Reaction score
if we have to order another pcm, can it be programmed to ignore PATS? seems to be more t trouble than it's worth.

it was flashship 1 i think. The place she bought it.

Last edited: