97 Expedition stalling, then theft light blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In that scenario, did the Anti Theft light come on? Were you unable to start it again for X amount of time?

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
when it stalled, no theft light. Turn the key back and try to restart, theft light. Still had to wait overnight.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
New development today. Been sitting for 2 days and will not start. Even at the beginning the theft light is staying on. So something finally went kaput?

I never swapped batteries...forgot about it. But lights always go out when cranking. I don't think any other vehicle of mine has ever done this. Could it be battery? But that wouldn't trigger the theft light would it?

Starting to feel kinda stupid here....like I'm talking to myself.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove the battery posts for 30 minutes and clean them.

After 30 minutes, cinch down the posts and put jumper cables on another vehicle and start the b$##@!d. If that anti-theft light comes back on, and it wont start, we know the answer costs about a buck seventy five.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
unhooked battery all night, charged it up, wouldn't go past 68% (truck voltage meter was showing fine)....will have to get it replaced. Went ahead and hooked it up though to test....theft light on. Actually read a thread a week or so ago where a theft light was on and kept draining battery....doubt if I could find it again.

PCM is sitting in front seat of my car to get tested. This is one aggravatin' ****

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't accurately diagnose an intermittent issue as long as there are variables that change constantly. Way back there was discussion of checking the battery and cleaning the posts and all other connections.

Until you get that stuff out of the way and perm eliminate it as a suspect, you'll constantly be tripped up by it and waste voracious amounts of time.

I feel your frustrations.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Ok...brand new battery, sand papered the connections, different pcm, same ol' story...theft light, no start. This absolutely is not a pcm issue. Just got back in from the 100 degree heat and am not happy.

I was wiggling the wires under the steering column abd this onuvabitch pops off and I can't get it back in. Do this go to the PATS receiver? It goes right up next to the ignition switch but I can't get it to lock into place and don't know how to pull the ignition. Anyone know for sure what it is and how to get back into place?

I may take $1k for this SOB if I can't get it going soon. Scrap will be around $650.

expdnwire.jpg

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Well it's been a while. I planned on towing it the huge dealership 25 miles away but my uncle told me to wait and have his guy look at it. Unbelievably, it fired right up for him today when he made a house call and ran for 10 mins vs the 20-30 seconds it had been doing. he said the fuel pump was not working after it shut down...not coming on. So...really that doesn't tell me anything does it? Once the theft light trips, I already know the fuel is getting shut off.

Question: tow to this guy and let him try it or go straight to dealership and get *****?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Err, hows your sex life?

Seriously, I thought you would be posting pics of the big bonfire by now.

If this guy has real old timer mechanic experience, give him a shot at it, or just GIVE IT to him.

You could print out all the stuff we've covered in this thread and all the stuff you've tried, but why ruin his day like that?

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Id have directly wired around all that theft light ******** with some relays and a key on source feed

Here hoe bout this, large pink with a black tracer (stripe), apply power to that wire, of the fuel pump comes on, start it, see how long it runs

I know you just want to fix the modo, but part of owning a old vehicle some times

Personally is get the appropriate relay amp, and fuse or a resettable circuit breaker wire it down wire of the inertia switch (btw did ya check that? ) or use inertia switch as my signal and apply power to the pink on a key on only source

And been on my way for about 60 dollars max
sent from my mind via telepathy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze