97 xlt ABS delete possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, my expy crossed 278k the other day. so far she is doing great except for a braking issue. I suspect some problem in the abs module as far as fluid flow goes. recently I did the ball joints and somehow the right front wheel speed sensor broke. I got one from the donor expy I used for it's fenders/bumper/ac. today I attempted to replace the sensor but the damned bolt broke off immediately and the sensor is frozen into the steering knuckle. I am not wasting time to fix the abs as I've never had to rely on it to stop me. I want to remove the abs module and re do the lines so they bypass it and go to where they go. I saw something called an abs delete block. is there one available for the expy/f150

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly just pull the fuse for the ABS. I had similar issues with it about 2 years ago. Pulled the fuse and never looked back. Only downside is the ABS dashlight is on all the time, but it doesn't really bother me. Everything else works fine with the brakes.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well that's what I've done now. and is a go to option when I have problems. but I have another problem. my pedal is soft or normal randomly. I have been through the whole diag process like bleeding and checking the lines and calipers. I read that there is a component within the abs module that could be my issue so I wanted to get it out of the system so I could eliminate it from the possibilities.

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are check valves and shuttle valves internally. One may have crapped out or is stuck open. There directional flow control valves.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I want to delete it. I can't use the ABS anyhow as the sensor on the front right is frozen in place and needs replaced

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
okay. I have found it is possible to get air in the abs system that can only be purged via a dealer using a specialized scan tool. would any one have a rough figure on how much that would cost? or of it can be done with one abs sensor bad? I can get it out if i try hard enough but abs isn't important to me.. having steady brakes however, is important.

Shaun M Johnson

Reaction score
I want information on this too. I want to remove my ABS system too. Why? Doesn't matter. I just want it gone and I have my reasons. I don't want to "just pull the fuse" or disconnect the ABS control module. I want to remove all of the ABS components. If I'm not using it, I don't want it. I just completed an engine overhaul with lots of goodies. If anyone can give me some educated advice my family and I would be eternally grateful. If possible, please provide pictures, parts, etc. I have found custom brake line kits that will allow me to convert all of my brake lines into steel braided lines. I am open to buying an offroad brake kit if one exists that will allow me to remove the ABS components. I have a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 330 Windsor SOHC VIN L 4x4

nobycane74

Reaction score
I want information on this too. I want to remove my ABS system too. Why? Doesn't matter. I just want it gone and I have my reasons. I don't want to "just pull the fuse" or disconnect the ABS control module. I want to remove all of the ABS components. If I'm not using it, I don't want it. I just completed an engine overhaul with lots of goodies. If anyone can give me some educated advice my family and I would be eternally grateful. If possible, please provide pictures, parts, etc. I have found custom brake line kits that will allow me to convert all of my brake lines into steel braided lines. I am open to buying an offroad brake kit if one exists that will allow me to remove the ABS components. I have a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 330 Windsor SOHC VIN L 4x4

Same here....01 Expy EB 5.4L. I was told with mine that the internal sensor within the complete module is going bad so therefore the entire module needs to be replaced...which would cost me $300-400 overall with a core charge.
Now my ABS light comes on sporadically ... no real pattern in driving habits to when it comes on, some days it doesn't come on at all......some days it comes on after 15-20 minutes of driving....other days it comes on right away.

Of course I have had my brakes lines flushed, installed new brakes, pads and rotors, and it still seems to occur.
Though, I have not really checked the fuse, and/or trying to replace the fuse overall to see if it would "reset" itself or not.

But the ironic aspect is I had to take it to an independent mechanic who specialized in Fords to really determine the overall problem, because the 2 Fords dealerships could not make heads or tails of why it was occurring. Really puts a lot of faith in taking your Ford back to a dealership for anything doesn't it?