98 Expy Interior swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Smith

Reaction score
Well my seats were ratty and my dash had some cracks and rattles and my console cd player didn't work. I managed to scoop up an '04 navigator sans motor for free(trade for a 4.6 motor i wasn't using) so i decided to swap the interior and front clip. contrary to what i'd been told the front clip is not a direct bolt on. the holes are in the same place and line up properly but there is a height difference in the underwood mounting positions for the fenders. Also the shape of the rear doors is different(unrelated). the hood bolts right on but you need the latch release from the navigator because of the grille. I don't have the front bumper or the passenger fender right now so it looks wonky as hell for the time being but the interior is coming along.

I still need to pull it out to do a fair bit of wiring and plumbing for the heater ducts but it is in there with the old column. that took some cutting. I will need to replace the metal understructure once I switch to the navigator column but for now here is a picture of the progress.
IMG_8440.JPGIMG_1201.JPG

chipete

Reaction score
I am very interested and doing this seat swap for my 98 Expedition is there any way you can send me more interior detail pictures or video

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

chipete

Reaction score
I am very interested in doing this seat swap for my 98 Expedition. is there any way you can send me more interior detail pictures or video and did you also do with the dash in the center counsel as well

Well my seats were ratty and my dash had some cracks and rattles and my console cd player didn't work. I managed to scoop up an '04 navigator sans motor for free(trade for a 4.6 motor i wasn't using) so i decided to swap the interior and front clip. contrary to what i'd been told the front clip is not a direct bolt on. the holes are in the same place and line up properly but there is a height difference in the underwood mounting positions for the fenders. Also the shape of the rear doors is different(unrelated). the hood bolts right on but you need the latch release from the navigator because of the grille. I don't have the front bumper or the passenger fender right now so it looks wonky as hell for the time being but the interior is coming along.

I still need to pull it out to do a fair bit of wiring and plumbing for the heater ducts but it is in there with the old column. that took some cutting. I will need to replace the metal understructure once I switch to the navigator column but for now here is a picture of the progress.
View attachment 18055View attachment 18056

OP
OP
Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I can decipher the syntax there but I'll try.

The seats bolt right in. Nothing to it. The only thing I had to do is jump the hot and ground across to the passenger power seat harness and rewire the drivers controls directly to the motors to bypass the seat memory unit. I don't have any pictures of that but I suppose i could come up with some. I always get wrapped up in doing the project and forget to take pictures. As for the dash...I don't have anything in the console wired yet. I sacrificed the heated seats for now and i still have the window controls in the door. I took the console shifter out for now also because I forgot to get the cable for it from my donor truck. The only thing I am not even going to try to wire up is the HVAC controls. Easier to make an adapter plate and keep my old controls.

chipete

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I can decipher the syntax there but I'll try.

The seats bolt right in. Nothing to it. The only thing I had to do is jump the hot and ground across to the passenger power seat harness and rewire the drivers controls directly to the motors to bypass the seat memory unit. I don't have any pictures of that but I suppose i could come up with some. I always get wrapped up in doing the project and forget to take pictures. As for the dash...I don't have anything in the console wired yet. I sacrificed the heated seats for now and i still have the window controls in the door. I took the console shifter out for now also because I forgot to get the cable for it from my donor truck. The only thing I am not even going to try to wire up is the HVAC controls. Easier to make an adapter plate and keep my old controls.
Just to be clear how much of the Interior did you change out

OP
OP
Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Reaction score
Just to be clear how much of the Interior did you change out

So far the dash, the front seats, and the console. But I have the door panels, the back seats, and the rear console.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn't it have been easier to put the expy motor in the Navigator?
?