'98 Expy Overland Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barkydoggo

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm starting a thread for my overland/weekender build so people can keep up with the process.

I'm starting off with a '98 Expy EB 4X4 w/ 5.4L V8 and 3.73 LSD. It's 100% stock right now, but relatively well-maintained. Here's what it looks like currently with just the new tires on.
FAK2gGqXsAMvGuI.jpg

My plans as of today are as follows, in no particular order...
- 295/70R17 Milestar Patagonia M/T tires
- Full suspension refresh including Supreme 2" rear lift and front torsion twist and Rancho RS5000X shocks
- Lighting refresh, full LED conversion and off-road illumination
- Remove the running boards
- Replace the front clip with a 99+ front end
- Replace the rear bumper with one with black plastic (integrate flush reverse LEDs)
- De-tan the exterior trim
- Bedliner coating on roof to prevent damage when using the rack
- Paint correction (3-stage) and ceramic coating
- Roof basket for spare tire and storage, including ladder
- Roof awning
- Transmission cooler from 6.0L F-250
- 4.56 gears all around w/ a TrueTrac diff on the rear
- Replace all leather with a dark saddle and recolor all interior trim to match
- Full audio build (HU w/ display & reverse cam, 4x 6X8, 8" sub, 600WRMS 5-ch amp)
- Recovery kit including 6-ton winch, recovery ropes, traction boards, etc
- Full 4R100 rebuild for heavy towing and torque
- Full 5.4L build with OEM Lightning supercharger

This truck will be used primarily for going out into the mountains for day trips on the weekends, and I'll be using it as my daily driver during the winter months. I also tend to do snow recoveries during storms. I actually used to have a '00 RWD EB back in the mid-2000s but sold it due to fuel economy concerns (you don't make a lot of money post-high school lol). My other car is a modded 2019 Stinger GT RWD and it's not exactly suited for year-round use in Colorado. I'm really looking forward to building this truck out for these purposes and helping here on the forums when I can.

Thanks everyone!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see you’re in Colorado. Check out:
Out monthly meet ups are happening. It’s kind of the end of the season for us, but if you join the Meet Up group, you’ll be notified when we do a trip.

I used to run a 2000 Expedition (see link in signature) and there’s another guy with an Expedition. There’s a lot of what you’re planning to do…… I’d skip it. Just get out. You’ll figure out what YOU need and what you don’t. From my experience, organization is the biggest area of improvement.

I know a guy that can regear it for about $1000 (both axles). Let me know if you’re interested. 4.56 will be perfect with those tires. Truetracs are great.

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm starting a thread for my overland/weekender build so people can keep up with the process.

I'm starting off with a '98 Expy EB 4X4 w/ 5.4L V8 and 3.73 LSD. It's 100% stock right now, but relatively well-maintained. Here's what it looks like currently with just the new tires on.
View attachment 70579

My plans as of today are as follows, in no particular order...
- 295/70R17 Milestar Patagonia M/T tires
- Full suspension refresh including Supreme 2" rear lift and front torsion twist and Rancho RS5000X shocks
- Lighting refresh, full LED conversion and off-road illumination
- Remove the running boards
- Replace the front clip with a 99+ front end
- Replace the rear bumper with one with black plastic (integrate flush reverse LEDs)
- De-tan the exterior trim
- Bedliner coating on roof to prevent damage when using the rack
- Paint correction (3-stage) and ceramic coating
- Roof basket for spare tire and storage, including ladder
- Roof awning
- Transmission cooler from 6.0L F-250
- 4.56 gears all around w/ a TrueTrac diff on the rear
- Replace all leather with a dark saddle and recolor all interior trim to match
- Full audio build (HU w/ display & reverse cam, 4x 6X8, 8" sub, 600WRMS 5-ch amp)
- Recovery kit including 6-ton winch, recovery ropes, traction boards, etc
- Full 4R100 rebuild for heavy towing and torque
- Full 5.4L build with OEM Lightning supercharger

This truck will be used primarily for going out into the mountains for day trips on the weekends, and I'll be using it as my daily driver during the winter months. I also tend to do snow recoveries during storms. I actually used to have a '00 RWD EB back in the mid-2000s but sold it due to fuel economy concerns (you don't make a lot of money post-high school lol). My other car is a modded 2019 Stinger GT RWD and it's not exactly suited for year-round use in Colorado. I'm really looking forward to building this truck out for these purposes and helping here on the forums when I can.

Thanks everyone!
With your suggested tire size, your motor is gonna be turning about 2800 on the freeway at 70 and your Speedo is gonna read about 100mph, that’s in OD.. 4.56 is more suitable for a 35” to add a little extra grunt, and your aiming for 33” which 4.11 would be much more streetable as a daily, especially with a supercharger and still have a little extra ion the trail. 4.56 will definitely have grunt with that setup..

Not saying it’s guideline rule or something, speaking from experience and sharing my 2 cents on gearing..

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. Just do..

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose your spare is oversized and that is the reason to roof mount it. Doing so will throw of your center of gravity which could be a problem off roading as well as on highway.

OP
OP
barkydoggo

barkydoggo

Reaction score
I see you’re in Colorado. Check out:
Out monthly meet ups are happening. It’s kind of the end of the season for us, but if you join the Meet Up group, you’ll be notified when we do a trip.

I used to run a 2000 Expedition (see link in signature) and there’s another guy with an Expedition. There’s a lot of what you’re planning to do…… I’d skip it. Just get out. You’ll figure out what YOU need and what you don’t. From my experience, organization is the biggest area of improvement.

I know a guy that can regear it for about $1000 (both axles). Let me know if you’re interested. 4.56 will be perfect with those tires. Truetracs are great.
Thank you! I'll definitely join that group. And oh I'm very much interested in your regear hookup.

I'm actually already planning on going out tomorrow just for a drive. Nothing too far or adventurous, I have to replace a number of suspension components before I push it at all, but it'll be nice to go slightly farther into the mountains than my lowered car could take me hah.

With your suggested tire size, your motor is gonna be turning about 2800 on the freeway at 70 and your Speedo is gonna read about 100mph, that’s in OD.. 4.56 is more suitable for a 35” to add a little extra grunt, and your aiming for 33” which 4.11 would be much more streetable as a daily, especially with a supercharger and still have a little extra ion the trail. 4.56 will definitely have grunt with that setup..

Not saying it’s guideline rule or something, speaking from experience and sharing my 2 cents on gearing..

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. Just do..
This is a totally valid point! I actually intend to run 315s later on, and I figured they'd couple well with 4.56s and the supercharger. These tires will likely never see the built powertrain haha.

I suppose your spare is oversized and that is the reason to roof mount it. Doing so will throw of your center of gravity which could be a problem off roading as well as on highway.
Yep! Ideally I'll eventually get a custom rear bumper and mount a swing arm on that for the spare. That would also really help my scrawny ass if I ever had to, ya'know, use the thing haha. I would not enjoy lifting it on and off the roof!

OP
OP
barkydoggo

barkydoggo

Reaction score
Went out for ~5 hours today in the mountains. Took on some moderately challenging obstacles without issues. The rest of the mods will help for peace of mind, and frankly I'd like to replace every single suspension component in this thing I think haha. It definitely has more play than it should.

But honestly I had a blast already!

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_153339.jpg
    IMG_20211002_153339.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211002_153400__01.jpg
    IMG_20211002_153400__01.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211002_160612.jpg
    IMG_20211002_160612.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211002_152423.jpg
    IMG_20211002_152423.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20211002_142910.jpg
    IMG_20211002_142910.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
barkydoggo

barkydoggo

Reaction score
Running boards removed!

FA_DUU0UUAI0CYH.jpg

The stuff pile grows...
FA-VudkVEAUNFKV.jpg

This weekend's plans:
Lift kit install
Shock replacement
Brake replacement & bleed
Check-over all suspension & steering bits and order anything needing replacing
Coolant flush
Lighting install
Dash cam install
Black-out tan & chrome

Next weekend's plans:
Replace any other suspension/steering bits that I find this weekend
Head unit replacement
Rear camera install
Paint correction & ceramic coat
Interior clean and detail
Roof rack

The project is moving along!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stuff pile grows...

This weekend's plans:
Black-out tan & chrome
To do it right, it’s going to take a TON of prep time. Lots of sanding and priming. That chrome doesn’t sand easily. And all the nooks and crannies in the rear bumper are hard to get to. If you don’t prep it well, the paint will flake/chip off and look horrible.

Next weekend's plans:
Paint correction & ceramic coat
Why? If you get on the trail and drag it through the trees, then what? Colorado pin-striping is a way of life for any vehicle that gets off road in Colorado.
1633567110744.jpeg

Roof rack
What are your plans here?

OP
OP
barkydoggo

barkydoggo

Reaction score
To do it right, it’s going to take a TON of prep time. Lots of sanding and priming. That chrome doesn’t sand easily. And all the nooks and crannies in the rear bumper are hard to get to. If you don’t prep it well, the paint will flake/chip off and look horrible.
Oh yeah, for sure. Especially if I actually want it to hold up for more than an hour on Colorado roads haha. I'm having a friend who specializes in automotive paint help me with this whole process. I'm actually going to pull this off the list for this weekend because I've decided to convert the front end to the 99+ grille and bumper, and I'm swapping the rear bumper plastics for the black versions. Since that's going to require paint and metal work anyway (also adding LED fogs to the front metal and LED reverse lights like yours to the rear) I may as well do all of that at once.

Note: since it appears you've done this work yourself as well, I'm always willing to listen to suggestions and tips!

Why? If you get on the trail and drag it through the trees, then what? Colorado pin-striping is a way of life for any vehicle that gets off road in Colorado.
Why not? It'll make it slightly harder to damage the paint and it'll look as nice as possible. I don't expect it to prevent the scraping but at least the un-scraped parts will look as good as they can? It's just something I do to every car I own hah.

What are your plans here?
I met someone local who is welding together a 66x40 basket with a faring. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick it to the factory cross bars or hard-mount it to the roof. I'm gonna cross that bridge when I come to it. Though frankly I'm open to suggestions with what to put up there! I also may put on the awning this weekend, not sure yet. The wife may side-eye me if I drop ANOTHER few hundred into it this quick haha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01