98 Ford Expedition No Gear/Stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonPut

Reaction score
Hi there fellow Expedition drivers,

I follow this forum for quite some time now as a reader and it really helped me with some stuff. But now its time to start my first thread here, so please bear with me.

I’m from Germany and drive a 98 Ford Expedition as a fun car since its clearly to expensive as a daily here. Spend lots of time fixing it up to a point were all wear items and stuff is replaced. The truck ran fine and without an issue.

Description long (can be skipped)

Now two weeks ago some friends and I drove to Italy with it for some recreation and hiking.
I checked the ATF level before we started and it was a little to high, but not to crazy. Shortly before the Gotthard Tunnel I noticed some black stains on the rear window, so we stopped. Looking under the truck there were drops of oil everywhere and it was coming from the seal were the prop shaft connects to the transfer case. The seal got replaced last year. I checked the ATF level and it was still fine So we continued our voyage. In Italy we stamped near Milano for another checkup. The situation didn’t change, instead it had stopped dripping. I checked the ATF level and it was right on spot. To make sure I even checked the Transfer Case Oil level and it was a little to high (real nice to have ATF running down your arm, laying underneath the truck in 100f heat).We arrived at our destination and the next day drove up a mountain road at 87F(and colder as we gained altitude up to 6500 feet). Drove the truck with Overdrive Off to avoid to much shifting. at the top ATF and all was fine and no further spillage. When driving down the hill, I locked the transmission in 2 to avoid unnecessary braking, since the last time we’ve been there the brakes got real squishy and were smoking when we arrived back were we started.
So far everything seemed fine and no “odd” behavior.
Next day we wanted to do some stuff and therefore use the truck. I engaged R and nothing happened. The engine would rev freely. Put it in D and also nothing. Not knowing what to do put it in P shifting all the way to 1 and back to P, then back to R. Reverse engaged without any hiccups. On the street shifting into D no Problems, like nothing happened.
Stopped at a mall, went shopping, came out and same thing. No R nor D. Shifting through all gear and it drives engaged R but After a few seconds. Restarting it, shifting into D, driving to an intersection and it died again. Then made it home without an issue

Fast forward a few days now back at home I noticed the same behavior again but only when it is parked for a few days. When driving the same day, no problems. It just stalls when shifting into Reverse like every other time or so. Not all the time. It also happens that when stopping at a traffic light the revs go down to around 400-500rpm and the engine really seems to struggle like its working real hard and then stalls. Especially when AC is running (Which ist most times) but that’s not as often as stalling in Reverse.

Description short

- Tranny started leaking ATF on a long drive in the heat with the ATF level being slightly to high
- Tranny stopped leaking, ATF level in both Transmission and Transfer Case were fine
- Transmission won’t engage gears from time to time, especially after sitting for a few days
- Engine stalls when shifted into reverse like every other time
- Engine sometimes stalls when coming to a stop at an intersection or traffic light (happened 3 times so far, mostly when AC is on)
- Engine seems to be under load when the RPMs drop to 400-500 and only to stall after a few sec.
- when you can feel the engine is about to stall out, shifting into N or P brings it back up
- ATF level is spot on, red and perfectly clear. No particles

About the truck:

98 Ford Expedition 5.4 Eddie Bauer 4x4
205k miles on the clock
Tranny gets new ATF every 20k miles or once a year
ATF cooler lines were replaced same for the filter
When the driving, the transmission shifts without any problems, fast and smooth. Shifts can’t be felt
No Check Engine light

Would be great if someone could help me diagnose the issue.

I was thinking about the Range Sensor, since it had a problem with that one on my former 96 Taurus. Also read that it could be the torque converter acting up.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When was the last time the torque converter was changed. When my truck started acting up somewhat in other ways, I replaced it for the first time in 20 years. No problems since

OP
OP
R

RonPut

Reaction score
The Torque Converter probably still is the factory one. I didn’t replace it and the previous owner as well.

Read some stuff online about what the symptoms of a bad TC are and was thinking it’s to different from what I experience.

OP
OP
R

RonPut

Reaction score
No really since I don’t know how to test it.

All I can say is, once you get started it shifts flawless. No problems when cruising nor when flooring it. It shifts real smooth and without any interruption. Just like it should be.

Ordered a new Motorcraft Range Sensor, since many people online seem to have problems with them.

From my feelings, I would say it’s nothing mechanical. Since mechanics have so repetitive behavior and the fault comes back under the same circumstances.
But here’s it’s a bit random. Other than that it no engagement thing happens more often when the truck was parked for a few days. But still not always.

OP
OP
R

RonPut

Reaction score
Final Update. Maybe it helps Someone in the future.

It seems like the Torque Converter went bad. Shortly after my previous post CEL showed a slip code and the transmission made some nasty noises.

I rebuild the whole transmission myself. Disassembled it to the bare housing, replaced all necessary parts and put it back together. Installed a refurbished torque converter, installed a refurbished valve body and put it all together.
It drove just fine. Only problem was a missing 3rd gear. It would shift into 3rd and then into 4th instantly. Makes fun tryin to accelerate in 4th gear at 30mph and around 1k RPM.

So I removed the valve body again and it turns out the company that I bought it from, that stated they Quality checked everything, forgot to install the 4 check balls in that area and used the wrong separator plate.
Checked the old parts. Cleaned ‘em. Installed them back into the trans and now it runs like a champ again also shifts much much smoother.

I also purchased a refurbished Pump, but they managed to send me a part for a different year. So I had to refurbish the OE one.

First 3 pics show the damaged Torque Converter, last one the ATF when I pulled the oil pan.

Attachments

• 698E4C52-9415-4C06-8DE9-9C04B317C787.jpeg
    698E4C52-9415-4C06-8DE9-9C04B317C787.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • D404D369-279D-418F-883C-92A3515D4A9E.jpeg
    D404D369-279D-418F-883C-92A3515D4A9E.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1858E2E3-FEF7-4693-A5E1-7B7E1E946AFA.jpeg
    1858E2E3-FEF7-4693-A5E1-7B7E1E946AFA.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 9
  • BA4224A0-9EB7-462E-B8E9-019C415925AF.jpeg
    BA4224A0-9EB7-462E-B8E9-019C415925AF.jpeg