'98 will not shift into Over Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB4254

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Ford Expedition XLT with a E4OD transmission. After I did a major tune up coils, plugs, cleaned fuel injectors I reconnected the battery. Took Elise for a test drive, runs like new however an issue I never had. The transmission shifts perfect through gears 1,2,3,4 but now will not down shift into lower gear when I press the gas pedal to the floor. Anyone know what happen to cause this. Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check to be sure all connectors are tight. You sure you have E4OD & not 4R70W? 4th gear is the overdrive, kicks down to 3rd when floored. Connections that were pulled loose during your repairs.

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
E4OD stands for 'Electronic - 4 speed - with over drive'.

All connections connected

So it shifts all 4 gears but when floored does not go drop down to 3rd gear????? what do you think is causing that. Checked all of the connects. It happened after I reconnected the battery. Any ideas???

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would undo the connection from:
Throttle Position (TP) Sensor

The throttle position (TP) sensor is a potentiometer mounted on the throttle body. The TP sensor detects the position of the throttle plate and sends this information to the powertrain control module (PCM). The TP sensor is used for shift scheduling, electronic pressure control and torque converter clutch (TCC) control.
upload_2020-12-21_13-49-32.jpeg
upload_2020-12-21_13-50-4.jpeg

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
Excellent!!!! makes a lot of sense. Will disconnect and test. Will get back to you on the results.

Thanks so much for your direction.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From 1988+ were "'Electronic - 4 speed - with over drive" until 6 speed came out. 4th speed is the overdrive. When you push the button on the shifter, it turns off the TC and you are in 3rd gear. The newer 4 speed trannies in the Expeditions are E4R100, E4R70w, E4R75W. Yours should be a 4R100 I believe.

Hope this helps you out.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May also need a little cleaning & silicone (dielectric) grease for future protection. GREAT on all your electrical connections

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
Replaced the 'Throttle Position Sensor' (new). Cleaned all connectors. Shifts perfect 1-2 3-4. When I am going 30-60 and floor it to go into passing gear it will not go into passing gear and seems to bog down. Any advice on how to fix this issue? Thanks, Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze