a/c in a different vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2008 Damon tuscany on a freightliner raised rail chassis.

History.
First three years of ownership starting in 2009, the a/c system kept loosing pressure and the rv place had to increase the low side hoes length by 4 feet as the original line was to short and engine tq kept pulling hose to the point it leaked at compressor.

They pulled vac on system over night and then filled with refrigerant the next day.
Three weeks later a/c failed again. This time they replaced dryer, condensor, compressor and expansion valve and flushed the system.

A/C worked great for about 1 year, then started tapering off in performance, then would would freeze up or not cool enough.
TXV valve was replaced again.

So for every year since 2011 I have had to have it topped off with a few ounces or a few lbs to get to the cool through the summer.

This year I am at the last straw and feel the need to rip out and start over. in preparation of the upcoming trip, I started the engine turned on ac and just got ambient air.

So the next day I hooked up gauges static was over 60 and high was right at 125.
as soon as i started engine, a/c clutch was not engaged, the gauges dropped to -20 on low and 145 on high with occasional movement a few lbs.

Gauges steady no pulsing.

So i said lets try to add some refrigerant to see if it the clutch will engage, put in a whole 12 oz can, as I was adding refrigerant the high would occasionally move up or down in the range of 130 to 165 psi and the low i kept at no more than 40 psi while the refrigerant was going in. so when can one was used up, i shut off the valve to see what the pressures where, low was -15 and high was 135 steady.
And my condenser was getting getting warm to the touch and felt like it was climbing in temp. dash air temp was ambient of 77F, as this was the coach temp from the roof top ac.

So I still didn't hear the engine compressor engage or the condenser fan come on.
the system has over 80 feet of hoses, as the engine driven compressor is some 39 feet from the condenser and evap and dryer up front.
Now I had one more can and decided to try to add it and get the compressor to come on.
It went in and compressor never engaged, but condenser got noticeably warmer, especially at the high side entry.
The txv valve is sticking out of the evap coil and the temp bulb is tucked into the plenum to monitor evap coil temps.
The high side pressure port is about 3" from the txv valve.

Here is where it gets WEIRD.
The txv valve starts getting frosty as in ICED over and is dripping water as it tries to freeze farther down the line. I stop adding refrigerant and the low side is now -10 and high side is 160 and moving slightly high, then slowly drops a few pounds, the compressor still has not come on. The condenser high pressure line is now very warm at the condenser attach point
the low side lines are ambient for outside which was above 90f.

So I said CRAP out loud and shut off the engine and started disconnecting lines
the low side quick connect came off with no fan fare, but the high side shrader valve stuck in the OPEN position when i disconnected the high side quick connect, which promptly bled off a ton of refrigerant and made one hell of a mess as there seems to be some stop leak stuff in the lines and it looked liked expanding foam

I have never used refrigerant with stop leak, but i have no idea what the service center did.

So now, my plan is to replace the sticking shraeder valve. But first maybe do some sort of flush and then apply vacuum for a few days. Then add in die and pressurized both sides with shop air to see if i can find a leak. Or should i flush the system, open up every fitting. replace the o-rings and try pulling a vacuum.

I have no idea where the leak is, to date i have put my hands and eyes on every fitting and have no seen any residue or oily stuff.

Thanks

(edited by the grammar police for readability)

Last edited by a moderator:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, since this has been Foo Barred, start from scratch. Replace all the o-rings in the system, replace the txv since it is stuck mostly shut, flush the entire system (condenser, evap and lines) with the correct ac flush. Do not flush with shop air - you are filling the system with moisture if you do that. Replace the drier and both service ports also.

Remove and drain the oil from the compressor. While on the bench flush the old oil and stop leak from the compressor by rotating it by hand while adding flush. Add new oil with dye to the compressor and note the oz. added. Add one oz oil in each component including the lines. Don't add more oil than what is specified by the factory. We usually add 50-70% of the recommended amount.

Once the system is back together pull a 30 minute vac and see if there are any leaks. If not then pull vac for at least 1hr. Add 80% of the specified refrigerant then start the engine, turn ac on max. If you don't know the amount to add you have to go by the pressures. Keep adding until the low side switch closes and starts the compressor. Note the low and high side pressures after 5-10 minutes of running. I normally run the evap pressure at 34-37 psi, high is usually 225 with ambient at @90 in the shade with high humidity.

Once that is up and running look for leaks with a black light or a sniffer if you have access to one. Sniff the front compressor shaft seal if you can.

Since you are pulling a slight vacuum on the low side with the system running, that is indicating the txv is basically slammed almost shut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all righty
guess i got some shopping to do, o rings and the most difficult..removing the compressor( i need arms with four joints) its a tight wedge for a large man
its going to wait till we get back, no way i can get it all done before sat morning.
i saw a formula to help gauge quantity of refrigerant based on line length.
gives me time to get parts on order and here for when we get back

and should i use the lower high pressure port for gauge readings vice the one right near the tx valve
thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use the closest high pressure port to the condenser. Depending on the age of the compressor and the fight of r&r, you may consider putting in a new one. If the front seal is leaking you will pull it out again.
If you do change it there is a bench oiling procedure that needs to be done prior to installation.

You may also want to swap the style of txv and eliminate the sensor bulb. A good parts store can look it up for you if it exists.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
If its got stop leak in there you are best to start over! New TXV, new drier, flush compressor, lines,evap and condenser. Get everything tied back in and do a proper pressure test with dry nitrogen. Might even be worth pressure testing as it sits so you can find the leak before ripping it all apart so if you have a leak from a coil/compressor/ lines you can make the repairs all at once.

Based on the info you provided it still sound like it could be low on 134a. Considering your condenser is getting hot that tells me the compressor is running so I'm a little confused as to why you think its not running. Looking at a suction in the negative and a high side pressure of 160 also says its running. A 160 head at on a compressor that is not running would mean ambient is 115°F and I would expect the suction to be similar unless there is some type of anti migration device (liquid line solenoid valve)installed which there isnt.

Maybe I'm reading in info provided wrong but I read it 3 times so if I got something confused lmk

Ive been and HVAC service technician for 19 years so if I can offer any assistance let me know.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at google images for a 2008 Damon Tuscany. You mention the condenser is 39 feet north of the compressor in your rear engine coach. I don't see any air opening up front, so wonder are there fan(s) on the condenser and are they working?

maxresdefault.jpg

Very weird you are seeing your readings without hearing the compressor engage.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am 98% sure compressor is not kicking on as i cant hear it click, but over the engine noise i could be missing it. but again, it puzzled me as why the pressures would go away when started and the condenser getting warmer as the time clicked by.
i figured since i have to open up everything, to clean and change o rings, i will pressure test it to see what all is leaking before i flush and start over. here and everyone i have spoke to are in pretty close lock step, with find leak, flush, replace dryer, oil compressor (remove), o rings and new tx valve. I talked to frieghtliner and they dont want to touch it as its damon who added the a/c system, but for 130 and hr they will give it a shot.
local rv repair place wants 125 hr and wait list of a month. i can do all of it and have access to the vac pump. so its just going to be a week of one end to the next.

the condenser is directly behind the passenger headlight, it sits about 1 foot back and has a huge electric fan on it. it basically drafts road air from under the front fascia below the two fog lights.. i always thought it needed a direct air duct, but the fan moves a ton of air.

i would love to move compressor up to the front, and get rid of the long hose runs, but a 12 volt compressor pulls anywhere from 31 to 50 amps, that a ton of juice.
its just like a boat, except this hole in the water has wheels

3 m bra 9.jpg

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok..as luck or bad luck would have it, we couldn't leave yesterday. A slide room controller decided to fail. so new parts are not coming until the 11th.
so i went out and found some great numbers for the system so i can get a base of starting point
found a lable stating 56 oz of refrigerant is required
and the part number for the dryer its a parker 21001 or 402815 model with 3/4 inch fitting nuts.
the tx valve has two nuts a 3/4 on the side next to the service port and the other one on the evap is 7/8,
the low side is a 1 1/16.
now are a/c lines sized like aircraft lines as in AN 4 AN 08 AN 10 etc? if so i know the size of the o rings or hopefully parts store has em..

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lines and parts are usually model specific unless you have the lines made up. From what I remember there 8 - 10 - 12 sized hoses. The o-rings and fittings can be sae or metric. Check with Damon on the system installed and then get the o-rings kit accordingly or buy an assortment kit like below.

Seems like 54oz is not enough when you consider the length of the lines.

The 2008 owners manual lists Acme for the dash ac - 800-552-2263. Maybe the can shoot you a copy of the install manual with specs.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...CW_0Tt3-qYnbf6Uji9VKDqLVwkTxmsscaAhJOEALw_wcB

Last edited: