A/C Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivan5

Reaction score
I am having an ac issue with my 07 expedition, using forscan the coldest the ac evaporator gets is 55 degrees, on my 13 F-150 it’s about 36 degrees at the same outside temperature, expedition was taken to the ford dealer and they charged the system to the correct weight, high pressure reading about 260 to 270 psi at 95 degree outside temp, F150 was at 200psi could this be a expansion valve issue or maybe they put too much oil into the system? Edit: Low side was at about 34psi on both

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
High side pressure is too high, low side to low. Have you cleaned the condenser coil in front of radiator?

tvlunn

Reaction score
I will share a little information with you for what it's worth:

Based on what I've "heard" others say, this particular model Expy doesn't seem to have the best AC system. I say this because I have a 2008 Expy which I purchased NEW! Straight off the lot that very hot day in July 2008, I felt the AC should be able to do a little better. Since I have refrigerant, a manifold gauge set, vacuum pump, scales, etc., I decided the following summer to evacuate the system and refill. After the work, nothing seemed to change for the better.

This year, I noticed there was a little oil residue accumulating around the TXV valve. I went ahead and purchased and replaced the TXV valve and installed new "O" rings. I then vacuumed the system. I pulled the system down to 500 microns. With the vacuum pump off, the system then held for 30 minutes at 500 microns, so I knew there was no leak present. I weighed in the appropriate charge and the system is back to "ITS" normal. It cools and keeps the Expy comfortable but my 1998 Expy and 2015 Jeep do a better job.

At 93 degrees outside temperature, my 2008 Expy puts out approximately 50 degree air at the center vent. Pressures were 260/33 on the day I completed the work I mentioned above.

My 1998 EXPY easily puts out 40 degree air on a comparable day.

Hopefully, this info will help in some way!

Last edited:

fireguy926

Reaction score
My 2012 Expy has never had great A/C. Especially on hot days at beach, does not cool well at all until I get on the highway for a bit. Condenser is clean, just the way its always been.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP truck is older than yours, why I started with clean condenser. Every system can be repaired, start with simple and troubleshoot with system pressures and temperatures.

bman440440

Reaction score
I have found with my 08 if the rear AC is off the front AC doesn't cool as well... on a 90-91 degree day with the rear off the center front vents get down to 49 or so... with the rear on the same vents get down to 39 degrees... on my 01 and 06 the where similar(3-5 degrees difference)... but on the 08 it was a bigger(10 degrees) difference between on and off.

fothco

Reaction score
My 2013 Expee -Max Ltd now has had 2 AC Compressor replacements . Costly . Only 130,000 kms on it . 5.4 engine . Is it correct that mechanics must only replace AC Compressors with same brand , make , & model unit ..??

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 had poor AC performance until I discovered that the temperature sensor inside the evaporator box was reading low. It would cause the compressor to shut off, thinking that the evaporator had reached freezing temperatures. It's located behind the glove box. I placed a 330k (IIRC) resistor across the two wires in the sensor. This drops the total resistance of the sensor and causes the compressor to run longer, as it thinks that the temperature is now higher.

With this setup, I get into the 20'F - 30'F range frequently. The downside is that on long road trips, the evaporator will ice over completely and I have to turn off the AC button for about 30-60 seconds for the ice to melt, and then I'm good for another hour or two.

I would simply replace this $20 sensor, but I'd have to remove most of the dash to get to it. A $0.10 resistor works for now, until I need to open up the dash for something else.

tvlunn

Reaction score
That's very interesting Dustin!

I need to check into that myself. That may be my primary issue ............... and likely is!

Is the wiring leading to the sensor you mentioned easily seen once the glove box door is opened or removed?

One could likely determine the "error" in the existing sensor and then place an appropriate sized resistor across the existing one to make it read correctly. At least that is my thinking for now!