A couple of mods for my ‘17 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mind sharing a little more detail on the boost gauge install?
How it is actually mounted in the vent, how much trimming for it to fit, how stable is it in there?
Also how was the wiring??
Looks really good in there. I think for my needs I would use the left vent instead of the middle but the setup would be pretty similar.

OP
OP
B

bauer4567

Reaction score
Mind sharing a little more detail on the boost gauge install?
How it is actually mounted in the vent, how much trimming for it to fit, how stable is it in there?
Also how was the wiring??
Looks really good in there. I think for my needs I would use the left vent instead of the middle but the setup would be pretty similar.

Sure. First, the mounting was done by using one of these f150 vent pods from Roush. The f150 and expys vents look pretty similar, right!? They arent...
so essentially, I removed the outer ring on that f150 vent gauge pod and then slowly filed the edges of the 6 points (once you cut the outer ring off. That is almost the exact dimension of the inner circle of the expy vent setup.
On the expy vent, first remove it from the vehicle. There are 3 tabs on the outside of it, the one picture here shows the side to see those tabs, they are a bear, but they do come out! Then remove the chrome trim piece. Save the chrome piece, but you will be cutting away the cross pieces of plastic inside the vent to allow for the gauge to sit far enough back.
Your left with the outer ring of the expy vent, the inner ring of the expy vent with the fins removed and the cross piece that holds the fins in place removed, and the 6 pointed gauge pod.
I fit the gauge pod into their pretty exactly and then drilled very small holes and secured each of the 6 points with small panhead screws.
It is absolutely secure. No movement at all. Before placing it all back into the dash, you have to drill a small hole for the air line and power wires in the side of the air vent ducting. I took the wiring over to the passenger side glove box area and found an ignition switched wire and tapped into it.
The air line I ran through the firewall grommet around the main wiring harness.

1d3b2efdc6881d969cfdbe9a003ac471.jpg

fb731fbbf47ca6ad5c243369627c4c2f.jpg

33b7eb973ca0a6efb617bd1bded8ff18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks much for the reply.
I really like the look of a true gauge and that seems to be perfect in the vent.
I also like the versatility of some of the ODBII connected apps.
Not sure which route I will go.

Cookieman00x

Reaction score
Not sure I could live without the vent being fully functional. I would mount on in the left side of the tray in the center of the dash with some sort of pod.

It does look like a very clean install though. Good job. Ill Keep an eye out for you on the highways, I'm from Montco about 40min south of you and work in Allentown regularly.

OP
OP
B

bauer4567

Reaction score
Not sure I could live without the vent being fully functional. I would mount on in the left side of the tray in the center of the dash with some sort of pod.

It does look like a very clean install though. Good job. Ill Keep an eye out for you on the highways, I'm from Montco about 40min south of you and work in Allentown regularly.

We have a lot of work on route 422 this season down that way. Armand Hammer Blvd up to the New Stowe interchange.

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Boost gauge in the vent pod is nice!

However, during the winter in the Shelby when you force hot air through the vents the gauge doesn't like it. It dims the display, but I have a Aeroforce Interceptor digital gauge. I bet that analog would do just fine.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whether you like the gauge there or not....That's a nice piece of work that you didn't slap out in an hour........very nicely done! What do I hear them say in DC?? Recognize!

lol

jeff

Hvunderground845

Reaction score
Sure. First, the mounting was done by using one of these f150 vent pods from Roush. The f150 and expys vents look pretty similar, right!? They arent...
so essentially, I removed the outer ring on that f150 vent gauge pod and then slowly filed the edges of the 6 points (once you cut the outer ring off. That is almost the exact dimension of the inner circle of the expy vent setup.
On the expy vent, first remove it from the vehicle. There are 3 tabs on the outside of it, the one picture here shows the side to see those tabs, they are a bear, but they do come out! Then remove the chrome trim piece. Save the chrome piece, but you will be cutting away the cross pieces of plastic inside the vent to allow for the gauge to sit far enough back.
Your left with the outer ring of the expy vent, the inner ring of the expy vent with the fins removed and the cross piece that holds the fins in place removed, and the 6 pointed gauge pod.
I fit the gauge pod into their pretty exactly and then drilled very small holes and secured each of the 6 points with small panhead screws.
It is absolutely secure. No movement at all. Before placing it all back into the dash, you have to drill a small hole for the air line and power wires in the side of the air vent ducting. I took the wiring over to the passenger side glove box area and found an ignition switched wire and tapped into it.
The air line I ran through the firewall grommet around the main wiring harness.

View attachment 61196

View attachment 61197

View attachment 61198

Where did you tie in the air line under hood for the boost gauge? I'm doing a snow water meth system and need to figure out where to tie in for accurate boost pressure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze