A Couple of Weird Things I Noticed about my 2007...Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ski_rush

Reaction score
I just got a 2007 Expedition. Unfortunately, it has over 200k miles. I was sort of an impulse buy; I needed to get out of my other vehicle (long story). The engine sounds great and trans shifts smooth. However, there are a couple of weird things that I noticed that have me a bit concerned. Maybe I'm just paranoid due to the miles on this truck...maybe I have nothing to worry about. Or, should I?

1. Let's say I'm driving around town and come to a rolling stop or a brief stop at a stop sign where I'm waiting for a car to pass before proceeding (probably going from 2nd to 1st gear). I noticed that sometimes (not always)...when I press the gas it seems to take a second or two to get going. The engine is revving slightly higher (since I just pressed the gas), but it sort of hesitates and takes a second or two before it feels like it gets in first gear and starts going. When it does get going, it's smooth and it does NOT clunk or lurch or anything. It just seems weird that this happens; that it sometimes seems to go into limbo for a second before it gets in first and starts moving. I had the trans fluid changed with Motorcraft fluid and filter. It still does it. It has been very cold were I am and I wasn't sure if that's related. Anyone else experience this? Should I be concerned? All other shifts are super smooth.

2. I've only had this truck for a couple of months. Last week was the first time that I used 4wd. Is there a certain speed at which I should or should not switch into 4wd? I was probably going at a speed of about 50mph. I thought it should be fine to switch into 4wd at that speed. I turned the knob to 4A and the message came on the dash that said "4wd shift in progress". There was a sight clunk and it seemed to go into 4. I was driving through some pretty thick mud, snow and ice, so I know it was working. I would have got stuck if it wasn't. Is the slight clunk going into 4 normal? I have a brand new Grand Cherokee and I owned a Honda Pilot and GMC Acadia before that. I know those are very different than the Expedition, but I never noticed a clunk going into 4 with those vehicles. Is this normal for this vehicle? It wasn't harsh or unpleasant, but it was noticeable.

Like I said above, it could be that I'm a little paranoid or on high alert due to the miles on this vehicle. What do you think? Are these things "normal" or not?

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. If the trans operates normally otherwise, I'd wait for the weather to warm up and see if the condition persists.

2. I never shifted my 4WD Expys into 4WD unless I was stopped or moving slowly and then only into 4A. Check the Owner's Manual, it'll tell you what you can and can't do.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Check your transmission fluid level if the problem persists and change the fluid using the proper Motorcraft replacement. It may never have been changed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360