AC compressor fuse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redlight

Reaction score
just bought a 2006 Eddie Bauer. The fuse for the AC compressor and IWE (#11) was blown. Changed it and ****, enough cold air to keep a polar bear happy. 2 days later, nothing, but the fuse is still good.

Any help or ideas would be great.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Visually looking at fuses is a waste of time when you have a test light or meter. Those tools will indicate whether voltage is present whereas pulling the fuse to look at it doesn't.
Next step is to check for voltage at the connector to the ac clutch and to measure the amount of resistance in the clutch coil. The measurement should be somewhat above "0" but not infinite.

OP
OP
R

Redlight

Reaction score
If I understand this correct, there should be power at one of the wires at the clutch and the system adds a ground to the other wire to engage the clutch. So I obviously test this with the key on and the AC on.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should have battery voltage on the gray/white wire with the system on and engine running.
Or you can jump the ac relay (pin 30 to pin 87) and you should get power at the ac clutch without the engine running. Jumping the relay will bypass all ac controls and engage the clutch if it is still good.

I always read the battery voltage first to get a base voltage. If the reading drops in the circuit I know I have resistance somewhere and will need to correct it.

Attachments

• Auto AC 2.pdf
    104.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
R

Redlight

Reaction score
The grey/white wire is one of the two at the compressor? Does the engine have to be running or can the key be in the on position, not a lot of room to be playing with a short wire with the fan belt spinning inches from my fingers.

OP
OP
R

Redlight

Reaction score
Another question. I replaced the battery the same day that I found the bad fuse. Two days later the AC quit. Does the PCM need to be flashed, could it be that simple. I've heard of this being required on some GM cars with climate control. Just throwing a dart in the dark.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No to being reflashed but a defective charging circuit sill cause the ac to quit on some models.

OP
OP
R

Redlight

Reaction score
It's been three weeks since I changed the battery, I'm hoping it would be safe to say the charging circuit is ok.