AC compressor relay location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yumadoug

Reaction score
OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score
On my 2003 Expedition the interior fuse and relay panel is the same as this video. But the relay box between the coolant reservoir and the intake tube is missing, replaced by the cruise control box. I removed the intake tube and the coolant reservoir and there is nothing underneath or anywhere on that side of the engine. And nothing on the other side by the battery and windshield washer reservoir. Any clue where it's hidden in a 2003-2006, 2nd gen Expedition?

Explorer versus Expedition:

Attachments

• explorer.jpg
    explorer.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 7
  • expedition.jpg
    expedition.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 8

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well according to AllData it appears to be on the inner fender kind of under the air filter housing and behind the driver side headlight for my '04 at least. I suspect the '03 is the same in this case.
1665542280558.png
1665542398715.png

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to help. If you're gonna do your own maintenance/repairs AllDataDIY.com can be one of your most valuable resources. It's not cheap, but it's a lot less costly than the set of 78 Bronco manuals I bought 20 years ago. A forum such as this one is the other invaluable resource.

OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score
Not sure if I should create a new post in another area or continue this one ...

I have tried so many things but this is making no sense. First thought the compressor stopped due to low freon. My AC was working great until 2 days ago.

Just found out there's no power to the compressor. Tried these steps today:

1. 11 and 33 fuses ok
2. tested 11 and 33 fuse terminals with key on and both have 12 volts
3. Replaced compressor relay in the aux relay box with two other working relays but no change
4. Autozone tested the clutch diode = ok
5. tested low and high pressure sensors = both have continuity
6. tested purple wire on high sensor and red wire on low sensor with key on and both have power
7. jumped the low sensor connector with a paper clip (2 prong), then the high sensor connector (also 2 prong), then both = clutch did not engage when running in all 3 cases.
8. tested compressor relay pin connector 30 and do have power
9. jumped relay connectors 30 to 87 but clutch did not engage when running engine
10. tested power at the connector going to the compressor before, then after steps 7 and 9. No power to compressor
fyi: compressor spins freely by hand

In any scenario, there is no power to the compressor. That rules out the compressor.

Does step 2 confirm the interior switch is ok?

I think the only things left are a bad PCM or a wiring issue. Thoughts?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My thought is a wiring issue between the relay and the compressor. If you have power to the relay and jumped it and still have no power to the compressor it's got to be the wiring. At least that's my thought.

Maybe check for continuity between relay 87 and the compressor connector.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like it's fuses F1.11 and F1.13, rather than 33.

1665630981662.png

F1.33 is for the emissions system:
1665631103156.png

I'm not sure it's a good idea, but I have in the past put 12v straight to the compressor clutch pin to see if it engaged with the engine not running. I just did it for a second to verify the compressor clutch.

OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score
I'll try that tomorrow.

This was weird but may/may not be related: Two days ago when it suddenly started blowing warm air, I shut it off to do something else for a couple hours. When I restarted it, it was blowing cold again but the dash display screen stayed black. After about 30 seconds, much longer than usual, it finally started coming on (with the "Expedition" logo) but slowly, starting very dim until it reached normal brightness. Since then, the ac blows warm and the display comes on quickly every time. That weird stuff makes me wonder about the PCM.

Does the PCM control the relay that routes the power to the compressor? Then does jumping the relay connectors 30 and 87 hard wire the power to the compressor, essentially bypassing the PCM's control? Or is that not it?

OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score
Dumb question: the two terminals on the cable connector to the compressor are simply power and ground, right? If something else, like maybe the housing grounded and there are two power connections (clutch and compressor? idk), then my test of power to the compressor was wrong. Would you know?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221012-205348.png
    Screenshot_20221012-205348.png
    374.1 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK