AC Compressor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finishblade10

Reaction score
My Expedition is a 2012 EL Limited 4x4. While the AC blows cold, it also has a vibration I can feel in the steering wheel. It also seems to put an load on the engine more so than what’s normal. Deductive reasoning tells me the AC compressor is on its way out. Since I live in AZ, this is the wrong time of year to roll the dice and hope it lasts through October. Any advice on the best way to approach this and what needs to be removed for easier access would be greatly appreciated. I have all the tools and a new FoMo AC Compressor.

Carl Keef Jr

Reaction score
My Expedition is a 2012 EL Limited 4x4. While the AC blows cold, it also has a vibration I can feel in the steering wheel. It also seems to put an load on the engine more so than what’s normal. Deductive reasoning tells me the AC compressor is on its way out. Since I live in AZ, this is the wrong time of year to roll the dice and hope it lasts through October. Any advice on the best way to approach this and what needs to be removed for easier access would be greatly appreciated. I have all the tools and a new FoMo AC Compressor.
I just had to do this last weekend (twice). It's not a hard or time consuming job - and I'm no mechanic. (To do it, I used the loaner tool program at AutoZone to borrow a gauge set and vacuum pump. I know you said you have all the necessary tools, but I wanted to add that for others who might not have these tools and don't need to own them.) IMPORTANT: I would highly recommend that you change the condenser coil (w receiver/dryer) at the same time you replace the compressor. In my case, I didn't (not knowing) and my A/C blew ice cold for about a minute and then the receiver/dryer clogged and high pressure went through the roof and I had to turn it off. Doing a Google search showed that this is common but I didn't know in advance. So I replaced the condenser coil (about $100), and went ahead and put in a new expansion valve since the system was already empty of freon. It's much easier to replace the expansion valve with the A/C lines disconnected from the condenser coil so its the perfect time to change it out and its only about a $30 part. It runs great now with 45-50 degree air out of the vents. You don't have to pull the radiator to replace the condenser. You have to remove the headlight assemblies and the supports in front and on top of the radiator, but its not hard at all. In my case, I didn't realize power steering fluid was leaking out of my condenser coil so that resolved another issue that I didn't even know I had. While I had the headlights out, I ordered replacements on Amazon ($180) that were here the next day and went ahead and replaced them since they were cloudy and showing their age. I'm happy with the results and saved a lot of money. Now I have to deal with the lower blend door issue that requires me to pull the center console. I am NOT looking forward to that job! Good luck on your A/C repair.