Ac not blowing cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephmast94

Reaction score
The air coming out of my main vents and rear vents is not as cold a it use to be. I am hearing what I believe the be the rear txv hissing as the compressor cycles on and off. I just got a set of manifold gauges from O'Riley's loaner tool program, here are my readings.
Ambient - 70°
Static system pressure - 84psi equalized
High side when compressor kicks on - 125psi
Low side when compressor kicks on - 30psi
High side when compressor is cycled off - 100psi
Low side when compressor is cycled off - 50psi

What is going on? Are those numbers within an acceptable range? Should I try adding refrigerant? I am considering pulling all the refrigerant out, vacuuming, and replacing the correct amount just to see what happens.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
High side pressure is low according to the chart in the sticky in the Heating / Cooling section. Make sure the condenser is clean and the cooling fan & fan clutch or electric fans are running correctly. Fan shroud should also be in place.
If you can recover and recharge the system that will make things easier to diagnose - that way you are starting within specification.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its all about outside temp to when charging don't forget. 30 psi low side if I remember correctly is proper charge at 60°. If it is hissing in the rear, it has a low charge. Probably will need 1 to 2 pounds to it right.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like your low but not much. Probably popping in about 10-12 ounces should bring your numbers up. I buy mine in small 12 oz cans. Be sure to wear safety glasses, and wrap a rag around can of freon as you shake it and add it to system low side. Cans get mighty cold!. You might want to have a shop do a beeper test after to see if you have any small leaks. Hopefully it's not the rear. Their harder to get at, but are usually your trouble spot.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yulp... got his answer and gone with no feedback

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They seem to do that a lot around here. I think what it is, is the other websites are so dead, it takes a week or more, just to have a post answered. We're like the old Domino's Pizza delivery, 30 minutes or less!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jflip

Reaction score
2000 XLT 5.4- hissing noise located at rear left panel, seems to be coming from a small square metal box. I seem to hear the compressor turn on, then hissing, then the compressor cycles off, no hissing, and repeats over and over when I have my ac on.

I read that this may indicate low refrigerant, but any other insight?

FYI I have the crossover antifreeze spew happening on top of 1-4 coils/plugs/boots. I changed 1-4 plugs and cleaned the boots, and I believe bought time until the next fouling! Paid $1100 for all 8 plugs/coil/boots 8 years ago. Never again. Long term fix is to replace the intake manifold cover, right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze