Ac not blowing cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 XLT 5.4- hissing noise located at rear left panel, seems to be coming from a small square metal box. I seem to hear the compressor turn on, then hissing, then the compressor cycles off, no hissing, and repeats over and over when I have my ac on.

I read that this may indicate low refrigerant, but any other insight?

FYI I have the crossover antifreeze spew happening on top of 1-4 coils/plugs/boots. I changed 1-4 plugs and cleaned the boots, and I believe bought time until the next fouling! Paid $1100 for all 8 plugs/coil/boots 8 years ago. Never again. Long term fix is to replace the intake manifold cover, right?

That's a sign of the AC being low on refrigerant.

jflip

Reaction score
Air blowing from this area, the source of the hiss. I added 12oz and it is somewhat cold, but this hiss is still happening. Any ideas as to what the hiss is? Thinking a leak of sorts. 8A523AC9-1809-489D-8A30-E5F6A6B521AC.jpeg

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
12 oz is nothing, the system holds about 3 to 3.5 pounds of R134a if I remember correctly. When charged properly it wont hiss.