AC not cold at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilka Wagner

Reaction score
Good morning,
We have a 2018 Expy and live in Texas. So, the heat here is significant in the summer. I noticed that when the Expy is at idle, the temp of the air coming out of the AC vent is basically luke warm, certainly not anywhere near cold. Once I start moving, all is well and it blows cold as it should. This is regardless of whether I just started the vehicle and it has not warmed up yet of if I am driving for hours. As soon as we get to a light or stop, the temp become warm. Is this a common issue? Can't get anyone at our dealership in service to ever get back to me.
Thank you

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank your auto-stop BS If you have it still. Typically tho compressors run at lowest rpm at idle so once you speed up the compressor speeds up and air passes across the condenser, so that's how it works....

OP
OP
Ilka Wagner

Ilka Wagner

Reaction score
So even if that is disabled when I start the vehicle? Ugh. I was hoping there was a fan defective at idle that was supposed to provide the air flow.
Has anyone added an auxiliary fan to solve this

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get your Freon level checked. A slightly low level can doo this too. Even in GA heat during the summer 95+ and 100% humidity, once the interior is cool it blows ice cold even at idle. The compressor stops when the auto stop activated. I turn it off as soon as I start the vehicle. It’s become second nature.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So even if that is disabled when I start the vehicle? Ugh. I was hoping there was a fan defective at idle that was supposed to provide the air flow.

If you are disabling the auto start when you get in the vehicle (or have it permanently disabled thru forscan or an autoeliminator) then it is NOT causing your problem.

The auto start system does shut off the compressor when it turns off the vehicle. But it will also turn the vehicle and the compressor back on if necessary.

But again, if you have disabled the system and your vehicle is not shutting down at a stop, then you have something else going on.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Could be low on charge or defective fan or fan relay. I would lean towards fan issue if it gets cold When the car is moving.

You don’t need an auxiliary fan. That thing is sooo loud with the compressor on. You can easily check that fans are working at high speed when Compressor is on by listening or looking under the hood.

you can also use the meat thermometer and check vent temperature at idle, 2000 rpm, and when moving.

OP
OP
Ilka Wagner

Ilka Wagner

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Will take it to the dealer and have them assess. Glad for once some went askew while under warranty. Appreciate all of the input!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't some of the early 2018's have issues with contaminated coolant in the AC? Thought I had heard that and there is some special equipment that has to be used to evacuate it and put the new stuff in?

OP
OP
Ilka Wagner

Ilka Wagner

Reaction score
I read something similar on another thread but thought it would be odd to just manifest itself at idle. Will ask dealership when I take it in.