Active Noise Cancelation (ANC) issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly Cox

Reaction score
I bought a new 2020 Ford Expedition Platinum. Within three days I noticed this loud buzzing noise when in park and even while driving. After several trips to the Ford service center and in collaboration with the Ford engineer, they determined the cause was a faulty ANC. They have now disabled the ANC and have asked that we decide if we want them to fix the issue. My quick answer is yes, we paid for that. However, the mechanic has let us know he doesn’t have experience with this issue and could lead to other issues when “tearing apart” the vehicle.
Does anyone know the value of the ANC? Any ideas on how we should resolve the issue? Vehicle has less than 2,200 miles. I’ve looked into lemon law, but seems that’s not a great option as if the vehicle is a lemon, we would lose the $5,500 paid in taxes. Also not sure if we discuss the issue with the local service center or if there is someone at Ford that would be better to help us?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not want to have a defect ignored and not repaired - as the problem could expand and cause other electrical problems.

Are you sure of the loss of the sales tax in your state for the lemon law repurchase?

I had undergone two lemon law repurchases of new vehicles in my state, which requires the manufacturer to refund the sales tax (and any finance charges and attorney fees).

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your only real options are to get it fixed or not. Only you can really decide whether it's worth it. I have had a little bit of an air leak in one of my ducts since I bought my vehicle. The only symptom is a little extra noise when running the heat/AC at the 2 highest fan settings. The dealership offered to fix it, but that would have required tearing my entire dash out. The odds of them failing to replace some screws, breaking off some clips, overtightening, etc. was extremely high and the reward was low, so I opted to leave it alone.

Hit eBay for a digital copy of the service manual and see what's involved in the repair/replacement process. This should put you in a better position to make an educated decision.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The ANC system is the "fake engine noise" generator that makes the V6 sound like a V8 inside the cab. The only fix I see would be component replacement. Probably as simple as replacing the radio head which is where it usually lives.

I agree with ManUp. Look at a service manual for the pinpoint tests to see what's involved. As far as the value of the ANC, I doubt any buyer would even know if it's working or not since it's a passive system that's not highly publicized. Just make sure the V6 doesn't sound like a sewing machine without it.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 4th gen ANC but in other vehicles where I needed to disable ANC to allow aftermarket subs and whatnot to function properly it was as simple as either unplugging 1 or more mics or unplugging the ANC module if accessible. It's never been invasive. The Fusion ANC is 2 mics that are accessible , Honda is a module under the dash with a few mics, albeit very high up and almost impossible to reach but can be done. The '18+ CRV called for removing passenger airbag and cover if I recall and I was able to do it without all of that. I ended up with a few scratches on myself but was able to remove the small fasteners and bring the module down to where I could easily unplug it.

As others have said, see what the scope of work is. What do they feel needs replacing? The entire ANC system, a single component, etc? If it's all of it, nope your way out. You're likely looking at removing the headliner, a few panels and who knows what else. You'll have rattles forever.

If you were to eat the taxes wouldn't it be as simple as ford supplying some sort of rebate or coordinating with a dealer to adjust a vehicle price to compensate, assuming you even want another.

ANC is a good bit more than just fake engine sounds and makes a noticeable difference in the level of ambient sound throughout the cabin. I would be annoyed it does not work. If its something you can live without are the open to any sort of compensation, though I'm not sure I personally would accept it unless we are talking the cost equal to what it would cost to replace at a minimum, after all ot was a purchased feature and diminishes your comfort in something you may be spending the next 10+ years in.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any vehicle with ANC gives me migranes..... so i would be all for disabling it permanently.

AmpForE

Reaction score
The ANC system is the "fake engine noise" generator that makes the V6 sound like a V8 inside the cab. The only fix I see would be component replacement. Probably as simple as replacing the radio head which is where it usually lives.

I agree with ManUp. Look at a service manual for the pinpoint tests to see what's involved. As far as the value of the ANC, I doubt any buyer would even know if it's working or not since it's a passive system that's not highly publicized. Just make sure the V6 doesn't sound like a sewing machine without it.

This is not true. Platinums have a separate system used to cancel out outside noise. It’s not a passive system. ANC stands for “Active Noise Control” active meaning the system activly changes the frequency to cancel out noise.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
This is not true. Platinums have a separate system used to cancel out outside noise. It’s not a passive system. ANC stands for “Active Noise Control” active meaning the system activly changes the frequency to cancel out noise.

I didn't think so. The fake engine noise is something Mercedes has been incorporating in their 4 and 6 cyl models for some time, and quite sure other manufacturers have done the same. However I never saw any docs for my 2020 King Ranch having any such gizmo, although it would certainly be nice. In fact, I can't even find where the Platinum has it. Can someone confirm please?

BTW - some people can't live with active noise control in modern autos. It seems to produce a certain audio "pressure" that [to some] can be painful after a period of time. Audi had an awful time with this.

All the best -

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ANC has a certain "feel" to it. Different systems have varying degrees of this. Some headphones are almost painful to have it on when nothing else is playing if your goal is to just block ambient sound, others its unnoticeable. Every now and then I'll put something on or hop in a vehicle and say nah, I'm good. I feel like Honda does a great job with ANC. It works well, doesn't seem to bother many and is fairly simple to disable if ever desired.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new 2020 Ford Expedition Platinum. Within three days I noticed this loud buzzing noise when in park and even while driving. After several trips to the Ford service center and in collaboration with the Ford engineer, they determined the cause was a faulty ANC. They have now disabled the ANC and have asked that we decide if we want them to fix the issue. My quick answer is yes, we paid for that. However, the mechanic has let us know he doesn’t have experience with this issue and could lead to other issues when “tearing apart” the vehicle.
Does anyone know the value of the ANC? Any ideas on how we should resolve the issue? Vehicle has less than 2,200 miles. I’ve looked into lemon law, but seems that’s not a great option as if the vehicle is a lemon, we would lose the $5,500 paid in taxes. Also not sure if we discuss the issue with the local service center or if there is someone at Ford that would be better to help us?

Another one-post wonder?