Actual towing numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a question about what I can actually expect for towing in my new 2019 Expedition.

Ford marketing says GCVW is 15,000 lbs. on the 4x4 with Max Tow package.

Side door panel says GVWR is 7,450 lbs.

Does that mean that I can actually tow 8,050 lbs. max, not the advertised 9,200?

Not complaining, just checking.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. That means you can't max out the payload while simultaneously trying to pull the 9200lb flatbed trailer. It's GCVW-scale weight*= max trailer weight** If you don't want to hit the scales, you can get close to scale weight by taking the GVWR on your side door panel and subtracting the yellow sticker's payload.

*Scale weight should include all passengers.
**But you have to be careful not to exceed any of the other limiting parameters, like RAWR and/or max tongue weight (600something for dead weight hitch, 930lbs for weight distribution hitch). In the real world, you'll hit one of these numbers well before you hit the GCVR. I'm a little below RAWR and right at receiver weight with a 6000lb TT. (Ok, it's tongue heavy, but the scale doesn't lie.)

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a question about what I can actually expect for towing in my new 2019 Expedition.

Does that mean that I can actually tow 8,050 lbs. max, not the advertised 9,200?

Payload is the actual limitation. For example, my trailer is 7,000 lbs wet and I'm pretty much maxed out on payload with 4 to 5 passengers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My current TT is not an issue since dry weight is only 2900 pounds w/ about 300-350 pounds tongue. However, the Expedition was the first step into upgrading to a bigger one. I think the one we would dream to have is about 5700 dry w/ 600-700 pounds tongue.

My current hitch is just a standard ball with sway bar. We would surely move to a WDH when we upgrade our camper.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer is 5800 dry, and has a GVWR of 7600. My 2003 expedition was rated for 8650. My trailer loaded was 7000 pounds and never had an issue with it. I would think staying with a trailer around 7000 to 7500 loaded for a 2019 would be just fine.

BTW. People will tell you your over your max payload with a trailer that heavy. I bought a 2003 Excursion diesel and it has the same payload as my Expedition had, and have never heard someone say I was over payload. I know guys who pull 10k to 12k trailers with their Excursions and no one ever says anything. So as long as you know to be wise and don't drive like a moron you will be fine. And, if you get a WDH, get a Equalizer E4. You will be happy with it.

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just FYI I noticed ford rates the towing capacity with a 150 pound driver

That seems to be standard for most manufacturers. My Honda was the same. I think GMC/Chevy also uses that number when I was researching my purchase.

I haven't met too many 150 pound drivers while camping. Closer to the 180-200 pound range, at least.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The difference between your a GVWR and the actual weight of the vehicle is your payload. Depending on the trim, it usually comes in around 1,400 lbs. Then you add your tongue weight (at least 10% of your load), your hitch weight, and the weight of cargo. This should not exceed the payload. With over 600lb tongue weight, you'll need a weight distribution hitch to get near the max tow rating. Otherwise you may exceed your rear axle load.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just FYI I noticed ford rates the towing capacity with a 150 pound driver

Can anyone show me where this is documented? I know I've seen it in certain manuals and not in others. I sure would appreciate another 150lbs of payload...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anyone show me where this is documented? I know I've seen it in certain manuals and not in others. I sure would appreciate another 150lbs of payload...

Google SAE J2807. That's where it comes from. It's documented in the Ford Expedition towing guide for models years beginning in 2019.