adaptive cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is a generic question. we have an edge with acc.
when it approaches a vehicle with cruise set, it does the slow down thing, it feels like its engaging the brakes , with a rumbly noise
is it really applying brakes or is it cutting power to the engine or some other thing

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adaptive cruise uses the ABS pump, so yes, it is applying the brakes, and the rumbling noise you hear is the ABS pump.

We had an Infiniti with adaptive cruise. My wife was driving it and had the adaptive cruise set, I was following. I noticed she was braking frequently, literally looked like an texting idiot on the highway -- braking for no apparent reason. I called her and she said she hasn't touched the brake pedal in miles. On that car you could feel a slight vibration, always assumed it was road surface related, but without a doubt it was its ABS pump engaging.

ACC retrofits almost always require a new ABS booster pump. On a '13 Edge, for example, Taska lists 2 units: without ACC = $227, with ACC, some as high as $390.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks
I am going to be sure to set it as normal at each start up...its different and taking some getting used to on two lane roads