Adaptive Suspension and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jpfeifer99

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 max with tow Package and adaptive suspension. I tow a lot and was planning to install a weight distribution hitch but the hitch store says I don’t need it if I have the adaptive/air suspension. Does anyone know if the adaptive suspension will level the car with a trailer?

I cannot find any information stating it will do this, everything I read /watch only says the suspension changes based on raid terrain?

Thanks for any info you may have on this!

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IT will not level the vehicle. You need a WD hitch (if you needed it with your previous vehicle and this thrailer).

The adaptive suspension stiffens and loosens things but doesn't raise or lower them.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More important is that air suspension systems, air bags, helper springs, etc, etc do NOT put weight back on the front ("steer") axle. Shifting the tongue weight off the rear axle and onto the front axle is what a WDH does. And of course, you're limited to only a 600lb tongue weight unless you use a WDH...

ChaseM

Reaction score
A good weight distribution hitch like the Equal-i-zer brand not only keeps your back end from squatting, but also does sway control. Even with airbags, I would still recommend the hitch for the sway control. A good hitch makes all the difference when towing.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...and if you want the BEST possible system out there (which it sounds like you do, if you're towing that often) ....this bugger is on my list. I will get it eventually, especially if I go beyond 700# tongue weight and 7500# GVWR.

NOT cheap, but the most well-reviewed and stable towing platform anywhere. I have two friends that have them and based on their feedback, they are 5-7x better than the $400-$600 WDH's from most other vendors.

https://store-b8894.mybigcommerce.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im surprised noone corrected you, the expedition does not have air suspension or technically a real adaptive suspension. The ccd uses coil springs and "adjustable" dampers that can change the driving capabilities of the car. Its not adaptive as it does not change on its own, you have to change it. The navigators suspension can change on its own i believe if you leave it in normal, but the expeditions doesnt. As far as towing goes, the vehicle doesnt have load leveling at all (weird its still not available as even an opt), but i believe tow mode in the drive cntrl settings stiffens the rear a bit.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry im was wrong, expy and navi have adaptive suspension, not active suspension. I was thinking active suspension.

OP
OP
J

Jpfeifer99

Reaction score
Well ford calls it (CCD) Adaptive Suspension which is likely causing confusion.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no airbags on these, so no weight support for a heavy trailer.