Add Carplay/Android Auto and retain steering wheel controls and backup camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="..........This makes me hopeful that I won't need to splice into the trucks wiring to grab that video feed!!.[/QUOTE]

Well - my Expy didn't come with factory NAV. the people who had it before me apparently added it later. Their job did cause me some issues. Initial rear camera feed went to the rear view mirror. The shop who did it for me said they had to run the wire to the head unit up there (same area where they put the mic) to make the rear view work. I still have it in the mirror and my head unit. I do like it that way. SO - keep that in mind.

Oops - It's December. Guess you've already been through this? How did it go?

OP
OP
D

DarkShadow04

Reaction score
The maestro unit did keep the backup camera function with no splicing or anything. Maybe I should let Crutchfield know.

Swapping out the cigarette lighter power adapter below the radio was relatively easy and the unit I ordered came with a bunch of adapters to make the installation even easier. Getting the cig lighter adapter out was the hardest part of that install.
(This is the usb adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAMU8KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Here is a pic of the install.

OmsxEpV.jpg

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. I've considered selling my 4500 for the updated UI in the 4660. I've grown to like it in the navigator. I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up my physical buttons, detachable face and a 2nd USB port.

The UI of the 2020 models is considerably more up to date looking and the capacitive screen are very nice additions. The swipe/scroll navigation is also a bit more intuitive if you're a seasoned smart phone user.

TrickerZ

Reaction score
The maestro unit did keep the backup camera function with no splicing or anything. Maybe I should let Crutchfield know.

Swapping out the cigarette lighter power adapter below the radio was relatively easy and the unit I ordered came with a bunch of adapters to make the installation even easier. Getting the cig lighter adapter out was the hardest part of that install.
(This is the usb adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAMU8KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Here is a pic of the install.

Do you have the rear audio controls? Do they still work?