Add Driver Assistance Package after the fact?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cflynt

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can have the Driver Assistance Package added to your vehicle after the fact? I just bought a used 2018 Expedition Max Limited. And this vehicle didn't have it on it. I don't know that I would/will use all of the features. But there are some that I am interested in for sure. So was curious if it can be added to the vehicle if it wasn't ordered that way. I assume all the electronics are there. The sensors and cameras are already there I assume. So they just would have to change out the modules/steering wheel and such. But maybe there is more to it. Either way, does anyone know?

Thanks for any info.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly doubt it, except possibly for an exceptionally high price and added complexity. It would be cheaper to sell the vehicle and buy a new one.

The driver assist package requires electronics and sensors that are not present in your vehicle. The front mounted sensor for the forward collision warning and braking is probably several thousand dollars by itself.

This is a great package, but the vehicle would have to come with it from the factory.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can have the Driver Assistance Package added to your vehicle after the fact? I just bought a used 2018 Expedition Max Limited. And this vehicle didn't have it on it. I don't know that I would/will use all of the features. But there are some that I am interested in for sure. So was curious if it can be added to the vehicle if it wasn't ordered that way. I assume all the electronics are there. The sensors and cameras are already there I assume. So they just would have to change out the modules/steering wheel and such. But maybe there is more to it. Either way, does anyone know?

Thanks for any info.

I highly doubt it, except possibly for an exceptionally high price and added complexity. It would be cheaper to sell the vehicle and buy a new one.

The driver assist package requires electronics and sensors that are not present in your vehicle. The front mounted sensor for the forward collision warning and braking is probably several thousand dollars by itself.

This is a great package, but the vehicle would have to come with it from the factory.

A quick search yields that the LH blind spot radar alone (remember you need a RH one too) would cost $386 (w/o shipping and tax).

That's just the physical component to get to you in a box. You'll also need the correct side mirror. Both need to be physically installed, programmed, and tested to see if they work. Then the whole process has to be done over again for the RH side. That's a lot of labour time that a dealership would be happy to charge you. Although, no guarantees it'll be covered if it breaks in a few years.

If you really want it, sell what you got and find one with what you want.

OP
OP
C

cflynt

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. Let me state that I have a Limited edition. It has all the side sensors and all, and I believe even the top 360 cam, just not accessible for me to press a button to view. I have the blind spot sensors and everything on the mirrors and when backing up, it notifies me when and from which direction cars are coming from. So that stuff is there. Whether there is more to it from that, which no doubt there is, I don't know. I know when you order the package on a new vehicle it is a $1,000 package. I figure it would at least possibly be that much to add it on. Just didn't know if it was possible. Figured possibly cheaper being as some of the electronics might already exist. Regardless, didn't know if anyone knew. Appreciate the replies.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. Let me state that I have a Limited edition. It has all the side sensors and all, and I believe even the top 360 cam, just not accessible for me to press a button to view. I have the blind spot sensors and everything on the mirrors and when backing up, it notifies me when and from which direction cars are coming from. So that stuff is there. Whether there is more to it from that, which no doubt there is, I don't know. I know when you order the package on a new vehicle it is a $1,000 package. I figure it would at least possibly be that much to add it on. Just didn't know if it was possible. Figured possibly cheaper being as some of the electronics might already exist. Regardless, didn't know if anyone knew. Appreciate the replies.

It sounds like your vehicle already has that package. I've not heard of Ford ONLY programming these packages. They're in the vehicle or they're not. It sounds like it's not been configured properly or has a fault. Or maybe you might be using it incorrectly.

Before going any further, I would highly recommend reading your owners manual. If you don't have the physical copy, a pdf version can be found on Ford's website - easiest path to it is to Google "Ford owners manual".

Once you have familiarised yourself with your vehicle and you still feel there is a fault, take it to a dealer.

BTW you mentioned in your first post its a limited max.

Edit: ABORT ABORT ABORT

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The DAP gets you:
• Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go
• Auto High-Beam Headlamp
• Lane-Keeping System (Includes Lane-Keeping Assist, Lane-Keeping Alert and Driver Alert)
• Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection and Forward Collision Warning

Those things are almost completely handled through a pair of sensors in the front of the vehicle (one is in the rear view mirror housing and the other is in the front bumper area
upload_2019-4-3_14-49-17.png

The systems you describe your vehicle already having on-board (proximity sensors, BLIS, 360 camera, etc) are separate systems. I'll bet your vehicle is equipped with either the Special Edition Package (which includes 22" wheels, the 360 camera, HD Tow, enhanced park assist, and LED lighting) or the 302A package...neither of which include the DAP package components.

There are a number of places online you can lookup your window sticker using your VIN (or at least there used to be)...I'd do that to see what the vehicle was ordered with.

Point being, I don't think you have the sensors in the rear view housing or the bumper which are required for the DAP systems.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, to me, it sounds like u have the ltd 300a pkg, or the basic ltd. All ltds come with the all around view sensors but they are stand alone sensors. Your vehicle also does not have the arpund view camera if you dont have the camera button on the dash, which you said it doesnt. The dap was an option for the 300a, but it was included with the 301 and 302. To add after the fact wouldnt seems too hard, you would just need the upgraded interior mirror and sensor for the front bumper and steering wheel which have the acc buttons. All the electronics can be paired most likely through forscan after everything is installed. Now pricing this, thats a diff convo.

OP
OP
C

cflynt

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies. Just didn't know if anyone had done it before. I will probably stop by a service center sometime and see what they have to say. I mean, I know to get the full package is probably not capable of being done, and that is understandable and really not needed. But would love to have the cameras. And seems like that could be done with some work. I will def report back if/when the time comes I get around to doing it.

Thanks again for all the input.

rs4-380

Reaction score
or the 302A package...neither of which include the DAP package components.

DAP is included in 302a (and 301a). I thought the special edition package required 301a, which would mean special editions have DAP as well. Most likely, the OP's is a 300 (unoptioned limited)