Adding BLIS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to add BLIS to a 2016 Expedition Limited? By using this piece of glass http://a.co/72OMNtq and getting new tail lights? Or is the BLIS module in the rear not in the tail lights? Then maybe have to do something with Forscan to add the option to turn it on or off in the left MFD.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody will come along with more info, but pretty sure the BLIS in our 17 Limited is all contained in the Mirrors them selves. Sensors and all. I could be wrong, and if so, somebody will come along to correct me.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be interesting if it was all in the mirrors. For some reason I think there is sensors in the rear end of the car. But I could be wrong. I know the F150 has them in the tail lights and actually has a logo on them to show they are there.KX7rlan.png

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That would be interesting if it was all in the mirrors. For some reason I think there is sensors in the rear end of the car. But I could be wrong. I know the F150 has them in the tail lights and actually has a logo on them to show they are there.KX7rlan.png

Again, Expy is a different beast. It is definitely not in the taillights on the 15-17. I can tell you that for sure. Just not sure if it brings the rear backup sonar sensors in to play as part of it’s detection.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody will come along with more info, but pretty sure the BLIS in our 17 Limited is all contained in the Mirrors them selves. Sensors and all. I could be wrong, and if so, somebody will come along to correct me.
The sensors are in the rear bumper. This is to provide the widest angle possible for detecting cross traffic, say, in a parking lot. blind-spot-information-system-with-cross-traffic-alert-03-ALL-A.JPG

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the sensor itself is inside the bumper cover on the side, not the rear face. Our Expys have a BLIS and a cross-traffic system, whereas some vehicles just have a BLIS or similar system. Those are most often located in the mirror.

Our BLIS systems do not work in reverse, BTW. The cross-traffic system does.
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...ormation-system-with-cross-traffic-alert.html Scroll down to the "System Sensors" section.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The sensors are in the rear bumper. This is to provide the widest angle possible for detecting cross traffic, say, in a parking lot. View attachment 25379

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the sensor itself is inside the bumper cover on the side, not the rear face. Our Expys have a BLIS and a cross-traffic system, whereas some vehicles just have a BLIS or similar system. Those are most often located in the mirror.

Our BLIS systems do not work in reverse, BTW. The cross-traffic system does.
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...ormation-system-with-cross-traffic-alert.html Scroll down to the "System Sensors" section.

And there it is! Thanks for the great info!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to add BLIS to a 2016 Expedition Limited? By using this piece of glass http://a.co/72OMNtq and getting new tail lights? Or is the BLIS module in the rear not in the tail lights? Then maybe have to do something with Forscan to add the option to turn it on or off in the left MFD.
I'm surprised you don't have it. Check the build sheet for your specific vehicle.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a standalone option on XLT and Limited. BLIS requires 202A for XLT vehicles. It's standard equipment on King Ranch and Platinum. It's a pretty rare option on Limiteds and I have never seen it on an XLT.

Some folks have successfully added it on F150 trucks. Hopefully someone will figure out how to do it for our Expeditions. On F150 the Side Object Detection (SOD) module (i.e. sensor) is in the tail lamp. On our vehicles, it is apparently inside the rear bumper as was stated previously. The circuits also route through the inside rearview mirror for some reason.