Adding Ford trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmg115

Reaction score
Has anyone added a Ford factory trailer brake controller to their expedition that didn't come with one?

If you have, is it just plug and play? Also will an f150 controller be the same for the expedition?

I'm not looking to tow heavy but I have a flatbed trailer with brakes I use to tow my 4wheelers around. It would be under the 6k my expedition is rated for.

Last edited:

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018's have the brake control module and wiring already installed. They only need the switch which is about $86 from White Auto Nation. Then once installed it will have to be turned on via programming either by the dealer or ForScan. You can check to see if yours has the BCM by looking up under the dash to the left of the brake pedal. It looks like this.20201012_093854[1].jpg

Travis Jennings

Reaction score
Yes i just got through doing it on my new 2020 expedition. Wasnt to bad of a job you have to take some panels loose. It was a little scary cause i thought i was going to break some tabs but i didnt. I already had a forscan setup that was easy.

pw1981

Reaction score
I bought my 2018 as a CPO and one of the things the dealer threw into the deal was installing the OEM brake control. It replaces the useless little pocket and then they had to program it. They had the part in stock and installed it in less than 20 minutes. I was fully prepared to DIY the install after purchase, but I wrote it on my offer as a condition and they did not object.

OP
OP
Tmg115

Tmg115

Reaction score
Well the good news is mine has the bcm.

Will a snapon scanner activate the cars computer by chance? The professional scanner auto repair shops use.

Wally Rayban

Reaction score
I just bought one and installed it myself on my 2018. Haven't had it programmed yet. The interesting thing is I was presented with two options at the dealer.

1) the brake controller (JL3Z*2C006*AA) $94
2) the brake controller kit (JL3Z*19H332*AA) $134

When I opened the box for the kit, I noticed it was the brake controller and a 30amp fuse. The non-kit didn't come with a fuse. I found it really odd that the kit was almost $40 more and the fuse was the only difference. Do I need to install a fuse? I noticed none of you mentioned anything about a fuse. Just plug controller in and program.....is that all? Thanks

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shouldn't need the fuse. The switch and programming should be all you need since the brake controller module is already installed.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Done this myself recently. You can order the brake controller part (don’t have the part number). Requires partial removal of center dash and programming via ForScan. I’d you do t feel comfortable doing that yourself, a local stealership is always happy to help.

OP
OP
Tmg115

Tmg115

Reaction score
I'm sure I can figure out forscan but I have access to a snap on scanner so I was wondering if I could use it instead. It's a full blown mechanics scanner and not just a code reader.

Reaction score
Has anyone added a Ford factory trailer brake controller to their expedition that didn't come with one?

If you have, is it just plug and play? Also will an f150 controller be the same for the expedition?

I'm not looking to tow heavy but I have a flatbed trailer with brakes I use to tow my 4wheelers around. It would be under the 6k my expedition is rated for.