Adding Power Deployable Running Boards - 22 Timberline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Omodan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping some might look under and around their power deployable running boards and post the various wiring harness and connector part numbers.

I recently purchased a 22 Timberline which comes with the static running boards. I asked the dealer to add power running boards as part of the deal and they ordered the AMP Research running boards for the 21 Expedition. Long story short, AMP Research’s power deployable running boards are not compatible with the new 2022 model year and they stated they have no intention of making ones which will be due to poor market conditions.

At this point, i am wanting to try and wire them in using the wiring harness for a limited and use Forscan to enable them on the vehicle. Unfortunately the Ford Parts websites are not very informative as the vehicle is still too new to have all of those parts listed in a manner in which i can look them up.

Thanks,
- Randal

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything is possible. But why? What's wrong with the ones that are in the Timberline already? There are lots of issues with the automatic ones.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 18 platinum and if were to purchase a more off road oriented expy I would get static ones. I have had issues with mine. Motor replaced once... some times it doesn't retract right away until I drive away.

It's your ride and your choice

Chromo

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Platinum and have a 2022 Timberline on order. I am looking forward to static running boards, have had many instances where they do not deploy or do not retract or do not deploy fully.

OP
OP
Omodan

Omodan

Reaction score
Anything is possible. But why? What's wrong with the ones that are in the Timberline already? There are lots of issues with the automatic ones.
Wife is 5’ and its her vehicle :). The automatic running boards drop down lower than the Timberline’s static ones which are closer to the vehicles body. The automatic running boards would allow her to get in and out easier. She is coming from a 19 Expedition Limited with the power deployable running boards and she likes those a lot.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, I would keep the ones you have. It seemed rather posh right away, but I would go for some standard running boards if I had it to do again. It's just something else to break.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wife is 5’ and its her vehicle :). The automatic running boards drop down lower than the Timberline’s static ones which are closer to the vehicles body. The automatic running boards would allow her to get in and out easier. She is coming from a 19 Expedition Limited with the power deployable running boards and she likes those a lot.
I'm 5'3" and I tried getting in with the power boards turned off, because I was worried about the motors wearing out and I wanted to see if it was possible. It's a good thing I was alone. It wasn't pretty. Ha! There is no way the kids could get in without them. I didn't think about the power boards being lower then the stationary ones.

rbelltx

Reaction score
My wife is also 5’ so I wanted to follow up on this and see if you’ve had any luck. At the dealer she said they were fine…once home, they’re too high. :-/

TxBrian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've added the amp steps on numerous F150's and love them. The amp ones work better and seem to be faster to deploy than the factory ones. Have also had them on our last and current expedition. (never had an issue with them)

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the folding steps. There are many threads and posts of problems eventually. I plan to go to dirty locations off road - including the beach. Nope, not dealing with stuck steps