Adding remote start to XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have searched and have not found anything. Has anyone added remote start to their XLT? If so, what parts were needed? It’s the only feature I don’t have that I miss.

Thanks in advance!

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Id check with a local car stereo/ electronics shop. Remote start and alarm systems are fairly cheap and reasonable. I've installed my own back in the day.

OP
OP
stricnine

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate the response. I’m curious as I have seen extension harnesses sold by Ford. So I’m curious if it’s just a matter of harness, key fob update and FORSCAN. Any info is appreciated!

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate the response. I’m curious as I have seen extension harnesses sold by Ford. So I’m curious if it’s just a matter of harness, key fob update and FORSCAN. Any info is appreciated!
To be honest, that sounds extremely expensive, with fobs costing $$$

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this while searching to figure out which package remote start came with on my XLT (202A)

https://www.12volt.solutions/products/2018-ford-expedition-remote-start-system-plug-play-kit

Looks like the XLT with 200A and 201A didn't come with remote start and you had to step up to the 202A for remote start. The aftermarket option you found looks like a good setup since the module allows the user to interface with some of the OEM remote start settings in the cluster.

OP
OP
stricnine

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well after speaking with FORD this may be a cheaper option than I expected. I have a 201a with the larger entertainment screen and optional 20’s, didn’t need power lift gate, power fold down of 2nd row blah blah blah, just not worth the cost to me.

Found part number JS7Z19A361A.

https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oe...emote-start-uses-factory-flip-key-js7z19a361a

Should be able to plug and play this and adjust either by FORScan or pay the dealer to program it and gain perimeter plus with the ability to use my factory fob. More to come.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well after speaking with FORD this may be a cheaper option than I expected. I have a 201a with the larger entertainment screen and optional 20’s, didn’t need power lift gate, power fold down of 2nd row blah blah blah, just not worth the cost to me.

Found part number JS7Z19A361A.

https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oe...emote-start-uses-factory-flip-key-js7z19a361a

Should be able to plug and play this and adjust either by FORScan or pay the dealer to program it and gain perimeter plus with the ability to use my factory fob. More to come.

The listing states the install time is under one-hour. I think I’d buy the Ford OEM kit, and have the dealer install it.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd check forscan 1st, and if the remote start in plain English option is available to enable, then it try some key fobs. My 17 xlt just needed enabled in forscan. And I have a regular key style fob, so those were like $40 on amazon for 2.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Viper makes the DS4+ that will have a dedicated remote with a half mile range and still be able to utilize the factory fob as well if that remote is dead or you just prefer the factory key to remote start at closer ranges. Bluetooth remote start is supported as well if you care to have it work with your phone, it's a built in feature that's free. It's pretty close to plug n play, most of the new fords are, parking lights, brake status, hood/door pins, ignition, it's all ran over data on these.

It should run approx $300 installed. Taxes on top of course. If you happen to have total tech support membership from bestbuy it'll be likely be significantly less as they waive basic remote start install labor costs under that program. I caught a deal and got it for under $100 w tax for one of our other vehicles under that program.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-...installation-required/6025100.p?skuId=6025100