Advice for high mileage 2012?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christophermbrown

Reaction score
Total newbie and know little to nothing about car maintenance. We got a good deal on a 2012 Exp Limited in great condition with over 100k miles. Bought mainly to serve as a tow vehicle for a pop up camper (3000lbs dry). So far it has been great and seem to perform perfectly towing etc.

While I would love a brand new 2020 Exp fully loaded, financially, I need to make this 2012 last. So... A few questions:
1. When driving over 60mph+, we notice a metallic type 'whirring, whining' sound coming from the rear undercarriage. Rear differential? (Again I know nothing). What could this sound be from and should I be concerned?
2. What are some low cost maintenance, checks, optimizations etc I can do to ensure this thing lasts as long as possible?
Any advice appreciated!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for signs of gear oil leakage from the rear pumpkin ( center of rear axle....). Remove the fill plug ( 3/8 ratchet ) and check the gear oil level. Use 75w-140 to top it off to where it just seeps out of the fill hole. If the noise continues have a shop look at it.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 Limited EL HD Tow ran perfect to 164K miles, never had any issues except driver window motor died at 80K miles. Other than that it was perfect.
Sparkplugs every 75K miles
Transmission new fluid & filter every 75K miles
Deferential 75W-140 synthetic every 75K miles
Bilstein Shocks at 50K miles
Power Stop drilled front rotors at 90K miles
Other than that, just good periodic maintenance.

scottc

Reaction score
My 2010 Limited EL HD Tow ran perfect to 164K miles, never had any issues except driver window motor died at 80K miles. Other than that it was perfect.
Sparkplugs every 75K miles
Transmission new fluid & filter every 75K miles
Deferential 75W-140 synthetic every 75K miles
Bilstein Shocks at 50K miles
Power Stop drilled front rotors at 90K miles
Other than that, just good periodic maintenance.
Hi FlyBry, I just bought a 2010 with 138000 miles, similar to your 2010. Came with about 60% complete service history from a dealership, so I know the timing system was done at 122000 miles (but not the rollers or oil pump). May I ask if you used the 75-140 synthetic in the front differential and transfer case also? Hope this question is not considered hijacking.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was 2WD, so yes I used 75W-140 Synthetic in the rear diff

scottc

Reaction score
Thank you ,FlyBry. Mine is 4wd, and I am looking for a proven synthetic analogue to normal gear oil for the differentials and transfer case.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Total newbie and know little to nothing about car maintenance. We got a good deal on a 2012 Exp Limited in great condition with over 100k miles. Bought mainly to serve as a tow vehicle for a pop up camper (3000lbs dry). So far it has been great and seem to perform perfectly towing etc.

While I would love a brand new 2020 Exp fully loaded, financially, I need to make this 2012 last. So... A few questions:
1. When driving over 60mph+, we notice a metallic type 'whirring, whining' sound coming from the rear undercarriage. Rear differential? (Again I know nothing). What could this sound be from and should I be concerned?
2. What are some low cost maintenance, checks, optimizations etc I can do to ensure this thing lasts as long as possible?
Any advice appreciated!!
The noise could be an axle bearing.