Advice for possible 2023 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sctom1

Reaction score
Hi all. A 2023 Expy is near the top of my short list of next vehicles for trips. I currently have 2 Explorers, 15 XLT & 19 Ltd AWD.
First, my dealer is excellent and never gives me BS on scheduling service like I read in other posts here (shout out to Burns Ford, Lancaster SC). They get all service and new car orders because they treat people right. There still are dealers like that.

I am leaning towards a 4x4 Limited w/ CCD, the most options possible but keep the smaller center screen with actual buttons, eLSD, Star White with black leather (l like the red stitching). Will wait for the market to go down much more before I buy.
1. Can I download the 2023 owners manual before buying?
2. In the Platty, are the seat massage things uncomfortable when not massaging? Someone complained about this.
3. I will never tow anything heavy, so this will be mostly a freeway cruiser. How smooth and quiet is it after several hundred miles on the interstate?
4. Best gear ratio for mostly highway? I hope to eventually be all over the US including the Rockies with some long hills up and down and higher altitude. Not much weight inside.
5. Can ALL the interior and exterior lights be turned off when doors and/or hatch open? Is there 1 override switch for this? My hobby is astronomy so need to be dark at our club’s site when loading/unloading.
6. Is Ford’s fake leather actually more comfortable than their real leather in hot and cold weather? Does it last longer? I think the real stuff is or will be only in the KR or Platty if not now, then soon.
7. With ccd, 20” vs 22” tire comfort much different? I grew up with big sidewalls for comfort; now every car seems to have small sidewalls.
8. Do the stock tires help prevent curb rash? Some Pirellis have an extra rubber ridge on the sidewall for this.
9. Is there a way to turn off the fake piped in engine/exhaust sound?
Thanks.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. A 2023 Expy is near the top of my short list of next vehicles for trips. I currently have 2 Explorers, 15 XLT & 19 Ltd AWD.
First, my dealer is excellent and never gives me BS on scheduling service like I read in other posts here (shout out to Burns Ford, Lancaster SC). They get all service and new car orders because they treat people right. There still are dealers like that.

I am leaning towards a 4x4 Limited w/ CCD, the most options possible but keep the smaller center screen with actual buttons, eLSD, Star White with black leather (l like the red stitching). Will wait for the market to go down much more before I buy.
1. Can I download the 2023 owners manual before buying?
2. In the Platty, are the seat massage things uncomfortable when not massaging? Someone complained about this.
3. I will never tow anything heavy, so this will be mostly a freeway cruiser. How smooth and quiet is it after several hundred miles on the interstate?
4. Best gear ratio for mostly highway? I hope to eventually be all over the US including the Rockies with some long hills up and down and higher altitude. Not much weight inside.
5. Can ALL the interior and exterior lights be turned off when doors and/or hatch open? Is there 1 override switch for this? My hobby is astronomy so need to be dark at our club’s site when loading/unloading.
6. Is Ford’s fake leather actually more comfortable than their real leather in hot and cold weather? Does it last longer? I think the real stuff is or will be only in the KR or Platty if not now, then soon.
7. With ccd, 20” vs 22” tire comfort much different? I grew up with big sidewalls for comfort; now every car seems to have small sidewalls.
8. Do the stock tires help prevent curb rash? Some Pirellis have an extra rubber ridge on the sidewall for this.
9. Is there a way to turn off the fake piped in engine/exhaust sound?
Thanks.
You can go here for here owner's manual:
1: 2023 Expedition Owner's Manual
2: You have 2 functions, massage and lumbar adjustment. There is no discomfort when not massaging. However, you can radically adjust the lumbar to the point of being uncomfortable. I love both features. IMHO, no interior compares to the Platinum. It is a whole new level of comfort.
3: Unless 4WD is needed, I would go with a 2WD with heavy duty tow package and 3.73 Limited Slip axle.
4: I like the 3.73 ratio as it feels like it has more torque but I still get 70mph at around 1600rpms. My highway gas mileage with 2 passengers and a little luggage averages 28.
5: You can turn all lights, shut off ambient and dash and black out screen.
6: I prefer the Platinum leather over all the other leathers including the foe leather.
7: I like the 22s better than the 20s or 18s. The Adaptive Suspension system is very airy feeling, almost sometimes feels like you need shocks. So, for me, the 22s give better tracking, less sway and little tighter feel, so you don't get the boat effect. I love the Adaptive Suspension system feature, but my wife thinks it floats too much on certain roads at low speeds.
8: I don't think any tire really helps if you hit a curb. Best thing to do is not hit one.
9: Not sure about this one. But the twin turbo v6 has a growl to it than can be slightly heard in the vehicle. But the outside noise in the vehicle is super quiet.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are not towing there is absolutely no reason to buy the HD tow package. The standard 3.31 gearing will net better highway milage. I love my tow pack gears for additional acceleration and stuff, but they will hurt freeway mpg.
Get a MAX, and don't even ask us WHY, just do it. A standard isn't much bigger than your Explorer.

OP
OP
sctom1

sctom1

Reaction score
The expy will be my freeway cruiser, and will keep the 19 Explorer for groceries, pizza runs, a daily beater.
After looking at the 2024 I have to decide on either the ventilated seats or the smaller screen with real buttons underneath. I want both but can’t have it that way. The big screen requires more time looking away from the road, not good for a 67 year old. My reaction time aint what it used to be and will only get worse. I hit some small critter test driving and adjusting the AC on the big screen. Platty has ventilated seats but big screen; Limited has the smaller screen with buttons but not ventilated seats (required in these SC summers to avoid a sweaty back). And must be black inside which both offer.
Will do the max. Was on the fence over it. Thanks.
Need AWD as a move to the Colorado mountains and snow may be in my future before I sell the car, maybe not.
How do I know it has the 3.31 gears? I want the better highway mpg’s, and ok with 0-60 in June as the trade off. Can they be had with eLSD? I know the 3.73 will be better in the mountains, hopefully can test drive or rent one with 3.31’s next trip out there.
I prefer to get a car nice enough to hold 8-10 years if not much trouble.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are not towing there is absolutely no reason to buy the HD tow package. The standard 3.31 gearing will net better highway milage. I love my tow pack gears for additional acceleration and stuff, but they will hurt freeway mpg.
Get a MAX, and don't even ask us WHY, just do it. A standard isn't much bigger than your Explorer.
Agree to disagree. I have the HD Tow package with the 3.73 LSD. My vehicle gets 28+ MPG on the highway and 17-18 MPG in town in normal drive program. Granted I'm not an aggressive driver and never go over 75mph on interstates.
The advantages of the tow package outweigh not having it, even if you feel your milage may suffer a mile or 2 per gallon. Being in Florida I like the larger radiator/transmission cooler, beefed up suspension, hauling capacity from 6,000 pounds to 9,300 pounds, (and I don't even tow) 360, BLIS, backup assist system and more.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expy will be my freeway cruiser, and will keep the 19 Explorer for groceries, pizza runs, a daily beater.
After looking at the 2024 I have to decide on either the ventilated seats or the smaller screen with real buttons underneath. I want both but can’t have it that way. The big screen requires more time looking away from the road, not good for a 67 year old. My reaction time aint what it used to be and will only get worse. I hit some small critter test driving and adjusting the AC on the big screen. Platty has ventilated seats but big screen; Limited has the smaller screen with buttons but not ventilated seats (required in these SC summers to avoid a sweaty back). And must be black inside which both offer.
Will do the max. Was on the fence over it. Thanks.
Need AWD as a move to the Colorado mountains and snow may be in my future before I sell the car, maybe not.
How do I know it has the 3.31 gears? I want the better highway mpg’s, and ok with 0-60 in June as the trade off. Can they be had with eLSD? I know the 3.73 will be better in the mountains, hopefully can test drive or rent one with 3.31’s next trip out there.
I prefer to get a car nice enough to hold 8-10 years if not much

The limited trim Comes standard with ventilted seats, you don't have to choose btw these two options. Your thinking of xlt trim, where the ventilated seats are optional. The 15in screen is optional on the limited for 301, 302, and 303. If you so choose, you don't need to get the 15in screen on limited, so you'll be fine. Now finding that here in sc is another thing. In eastern sc area, there are no limiteds with the 12in screen so they will need to be ordered.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It will come with 3.31 gears unless it has the HD tow package then it gets 3.73 gears. They don't advertise the 3.31 in many places, but that is the standard gearing.