Advice needed SYNC, what to look for on 2014 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennyT

Reaction score
Looking at a nice 2014 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 . Not owning a Ford like this and always being a GM person, wondering what to look for ?
I'm concerned about the engine , transmission power train etc. Has 110K miles . Looks like about every 8k miles it was serviced, didn't see a transmission or other power train that shows serviced though. Paint and inside look great and as much as these cost at eight years old, I just need to see what you the experts think.

Thank you
Ken

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's the V8 5.4-3 valves per cylinder, no matter the previous service, never ever get it. Run far far away.

I believe that's the only engine choice for that. The V6 came out in 2015. From now until 200k it will need engine top and front end replacement. $4k for a shop to do it. (cams, rockers, chains, guides, water pump, phasers, done deals, etc.)

Please please please! if you don't believe me, go to YouTube and look up this engine and you'll see all the vids about how bad this engine is and it's mostly related to too small of oil passages. Besides those, the oil holes thru the ricjer/follows enlarge and oil no.longer hits the roller on the end of the follower that contacts the cam. The roller eventually fails and ticks loud. Full failure can lock up the top end, and it is an interference engine, the valves contact the pistons. The engine is shot at that point requiring complete replacement.

I was dumb and thought my 2011 5.4 was gonna be nearly the same as my 2000 5.4 (2 valve) van which I sold at 300k miles with very little engine work, still running smooth.

Its honestly not worth it whatever the price. Too many other good ones. If you can find a 2015 + V6, thrn there ya go.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And here we go with another 5.4 bashing thread.

The 2014 is the last year of the 5.4, and yes, you will need to do the timing job and roller follower job between now and 150-160k miles. That said, once that job is done, the engine will be reliable for another 150k miles, especially if you take care of it. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do the work yourself for about $1500 in Ford OEM parts, regular garage tools, and a couple of specialty tools from Amazon. Is the 5.4 a fast engine or as powerful as the 3.5 in the 2015-2017 models? No, but is also doesn't have any potential turbo related issues.

To answer your other questions:

Transmissions, drivetrain, and 4WD systems are the same between 2014 & 2015-2017 models. Interiors are the same except for colors. All drivetrain systems should be serviced regularly since the "lifetime" fluids do wear out and maintenance is cheap insurance against failure.

Telematics and instrument cluster are updated on 2015-2017 models, with two cluster designs (trim dependent) and Sync3 with touchscreen and updated navigation systems. That said, don't let the infotainment system be a driver in your decision since they fall quickly out of date and support. I believe the 2015+ models can be upgraded to Apple CarPlay with a USB module swap. 2014s and lower require an aftermarket head unit swap for CarPlay or Android Auto.

Either model is reliable as long as you take care of it. Don't run away screaming from the 5.4 unless it has notable ticking, chain slap at startup, or other odd noises an engine shouldn't make. Note: the 5.4 injectors tick loudly, but that's normal. Odd noises will come from the front of the engine or under the valve covers.

OP
OP
K

KennyT

Reaction score
Appreciate your comments, talked to the person that owned it before and was his wife's . Started it cold and didn't notice any unusal sounds from anything. Drove it about 100 miles ranging from 75 mph to 55 mph. Had it put on the rack and the exhaust had rust of course and sheet metal looked great with no rust seen. This is a Arkansas rig it seems.

I had heard things about the 5.4 and also heard some decided to us a different oil also that what is supposed to run. Don't see any leaks anywhere and 4 wheel drive both high and low range seem to work. I used to drive a couple of police vehicles that used the 5.4 also and they held up under all the abuse.

Will get the transmission service before buying it, the am, fm radio has noise but no signals as antenna is not connected. Sat radio works though, this will be fixed before buying also. Did see a little condensation on the jack under the carpet and let a body exaimine it and the didn't see any signs of leaks on moon roof, back glass etc.

The gauges all seem to be ok. Wish there was a gauge for the tire pressure instead of a light though. The bluetooth Sync seemed to do well however hard to hear someone over 45 miles an hour, anyway to up the volume for bluetooth ? Stereo has plenty of volume however. Haven't checked the outlets or console if front of back seat. Original manuals are in it. Hoping the NAV MAPS and Bluetooth can be updated with the last software. Going to miss my internet, Apple Car Play too.

Didn't check the trailer wiring or factory trailor controller

Any more things I might need to look at ?

Thank you
Ken

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most people switch to 5W30 which is the spec for the 5.4 outside the US (5w20 is for CAFE regs). When you service the transmission, only do a fluid and filer change; these transmissions don't do well with a flush. Also have the transfer case and both differentials serviced. Plan to put them all on a 50k service schedule as good insurance.

FYI, the oil pressure gauge is a dumb/idiot gauge and only shows when you have pressure above 15PSI. Some of us have installed aftermarket gauges as a precaution but it not necessary as long as you keep listening for any odd noises there.

Ford stopped updating the SYNC and NAV in 2019; you might be able to find the discs and license keys on Ebay. SYNC volume is ok, not much you can do to change it. Honestly, an aftermarket head unit with Maestro integration will run laps around the factory NAV and SYNC since its 10+ year old technology and will also give you things like actual tire pressure readouts.

For the trailer wiring, look at the tow hitch if equipped. You should have both 4-pin and 7-pin connectors already installed from the factory.

Only other things I've had to replace on mine have been the front vacuum solenoid and vacuum lines for the front hubs. They're plastic and start to crack over time, leaving the hubs to stay engaged (Ford uses vacuum to keep the hubs unlocked). You'll know this if you start hearing a loud clicking/buzzing coming form the front at higher speeds as the hub tries to lock/unlock.

Good luck, I don't think you'll go wrong with it. These are durable vehicles and will last as long as they're taken care of.

OP
OP
K

KennyT

Reaction score
Appreciate it, hopefully they are doing the filter change on the transmission as it is cheaper. Will service the 4x4 when I can. Might look in to different radio if it has tire pressure etc. I was told to turn volume up on phone when using bluetooth. Would like to know where is best places to buy non china stuff for it, if there are businesses like that anymore. Want to put some kind of good non slip mats over the carpet to keep it clean as I have four Grandchildren.. Yes, gauges are like AUTOCHECK at a dealership as really don't tell you much.

Thank you
Ken

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crutchfield.com is a good place to research aftermarket radios. I use the Weathertech liners, but Husky Liners also makes a great set that has the little carpet teeth to stay in place. The phone volume idea doesn't work all that well; I know from experience.

hamzill

Reaction score
Brought my 2014 4x4 XL EL with 121K miles for 9,500.00$ from the American embassy in the Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It was embassy carpool vehicle used for diplomat's families and other state department service members.
The interiors were in fairly decent condition but the driver side seat cushion and floor mat was worn out.
I did oil change and got some codes but no knocking sounds.
Had to change the cam phaser for bank 1 and the solenoid for 640$.
The heater core was bad and was bypassed using and steel pipe. was Quoted 800$ for the replacement.
The ac system has a leak some where had to refill Freon.
The other common problem that i am facing is with the puddle lights and backlights for the steering wheel control, shifter, 4x4 switch and other center console switches except the AC and radio backlights. Its a common problem with several fords from my search online.
Also the floor ac vents leak at all times with not solution other than taping it.
I get 13mpg in the city and 18-19mpg on the highway.
My next service would be for the runners, transmission fluid, filter and brake rotor replacement.