Advice on my new rig please !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6S1284

Reaction score
I have been towing an enclosed car trailer with my Expeditions three or four times annually for 15 years. I have always used a WDH. I started with a 24' Steel trailer (that was heavy!) and for the last many years been towing an ATC aluminum 24' trailer. It has always towed well - I get a bit of suction when the big rigs blow by me but other than that no issues. I recently upgraded to a 2020 Expy Max with heavy duty towing package. A week of so ago I had the opportunity to buy my dream trailer in VERY GOOD condition. It's a 20' JimGlo - 7K gross. My other trailer is 9900 gross. With my heaviest car I will be at 6600. This trailer has a very nice generator and storage box on the front which prohibits normal WDH brackets. See photos. I want to run this trailer SAFELY. Can some of you towing veterans give me some suggestions? Am I risking it if I run without the WDH? The Expy is not sagging when loaded with the car and the tongue weights are within limits. Thanks for your time! Dave
20210630_080432.jpg20210630_080459.jpg

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm almost positive even the HD tow-equipped Expeditions need to use a weight distribution hitch to get the maximum allowed tongue weight and tow capacity. Have you checked the manual?

OP
OP
6S1284

6S1284

Reaction score
I'm almost positive even the HD tow-equipped Expeditions need to use a weight distribution hitch to get the maximum allowed tongue weight and tow capacity. Have you checked the manual?
Yes absolutely but this is not the maximum tow capacity. Thanks for your help.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't tow those numbers without a WDH. I would have the generator box modified to allow WDH. My guess is it could be done with some cutting.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We tow almost 6k, with a hitch... I really can't imagine towing that much without one, even though we're below the limit. Your front end will be light, and your rear axle might be close to the weight limit.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Expy is not sagging when loaded with the car and the tongue weights are within limits.
How about a pic with the tounge jack up and fully loaded. Including people and gear in the expy.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the towing guide, anything over 6,300 lbs on a Max 4x2 requires a WDH. It sounds as though you'll be slightly above that. I think you can have the WDH brackets bolted directly to the trailer frame, or get the generator cover modified by a reputable trailer shop to permit installation of the brackets . I think this would be the best course of action, since you're towing a fairly heavy trailer.

OP
OP
6S1284

6S1284

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Problem solved. Both Curt and Reese make chain brackets that bolt to the trailer frame. Guess I have a small project upcoming !