After a few trips with 2020 Expedition ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jskane125

Reaction score
Hi folks. After a few trips pulling my 3700lb trailer (with ease) I do have some observations, and would like feedback. FYI 2020 XLT with tow package.

• 4W or 2W - Do you use the 4A mode when pulling or two wheel drive. Mine seems to sometimes default to 4 wheel, sometimes not. I was driving in two wheel drive on the recent trip. Does everyone use 4 wheel drive?
  • Mileage - I'm barely breaking 9-10 miles to the gallon (combination highway/backroads) driving across the PA turnpike and up to Raystown Lake, about 12 miles or so on hilly roads. I use tow mode, and stay around 60-65. I would think a tad better should be expected. I got 12-13 with an Acura MDX, same trailer, when on flat ground. I did see slight increase in mileage when I switched to a higher octane. So with a full tank, barely getting 245 miles on a tank. (10 miles per gallon, 23.4 gallons
  • Bliss - On this trip, the blind spot system turned off, didn't do that before and worked. No idea why. I'll have to try again. Frankly, I stuck two small round mirrors on my side mirrors, and I can see the length of this KZ Vision (2015, about 22 ft) easily. I still don't think the extended bliss is working despite setting up my trailer length. When I go in for the first oil change, I'll get that fixed.
  • Towing - I do get that annoying push when a large tractor trailer comes up on the left. Not sure if that is common. I have a heavy duty ehitch with 1,000 lb sway bars. I checked with my original dealer to ensure that after I bought the Expy and adjusted the hitch level, it was all correct and balanced. I upgraded tires on the RV, and check them regularly.
  • Rear assist is ok but I find doing it manually generally easier.

Unrelated to the Expedition, and I've never had this happen, the tow bar from my car to trailer (eHitch 1,000lb snaps up into the hitch) fell off. I heard it dragging and drop, but had to drive a mile or so to pull over. Never found it. Mine snap up into the hitch, and the only think I can think of is that I hitched up the night before, then dropped the hitch overnight to lighten weight on the car. Maybe that loosened the clip that goes into the top of the tow bar. I'll have to check more carefully next time. New sway bar was $100.00.

Overall, pulls my 3700lb with no problems, especially compared to the MDX, which did fine on flat roads but struggled on hills.

I'm still sure that Bliss is not working. Another person posted a similar problem.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
I use 4A on steep grade or in high wind or rain regardless of whether I'm towing. I also use it on country roads and construction sites, in tandem with sand or gravel modes.

Hitch makes all the difference. Not sure what you have. I only trust geny torsion, reese straight line, or pro pride wdh. Some other hitches use previous gen tech and are coasting on brand reputation from 10yrs ago.

Trailer bliss is mandatory for me.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow in 2H with my 2019 w/ HD tow. My camper is around 3000 pounds.

I am getting around 14mpg on mostly flat terrain around the PA, MD, DE, VA areas.

I have BLIS, but have really paid attention to whether it is working. I don’t really pass and changing lanes has not been too much of an issue where it would be beneficial or not. Ours is around 20-22’ long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 34’ airstream (about 9,000lbs) and use 2H on all paved roads and most gravel. I only switch to 4H when reaction is an issue like starting up on grass/gravel and on super rough roads in the boondocks.

I get 13-14 mpg when towing with 91-93 octane fuel. That’s about 15% better than with regular fuel and 0% ethanol does make for the best fuel economy.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 34’ airstream (about 9,000lbs) and use 2H on all paved roads and most gravel. I only switch to 4H when reaction is an issue like starting up on grass/gravel and on super rough roads in the boondocks.

I get 13-14 mpg when towing with 91-93 octane fuel. That’s about 15% better than with regular fuel and 0% ethanol does make for the best fuel economy.

Wow, is the airstream really that aerodynamic? I only get 8.5 - 10 mpg between 60 and 70mph and I only tow with premium. Have you towed any other brand trailers comparable in size? The ethanol free fuel can't account for that entire mpg improvement.

OP
OP
J

Jskane125

Reaction score
I saw a slight jump to 10.5 when I filled a half tank of regular with high octane. I’ll try a full tank of high octane next weekend. Heading to Ducksneck in Maryland. Hopefully better mileage.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, is the airstream really that aerodynamic? I only get 8.5 - 10 mpg between 60 and 70mph and I only tow with premium. Have you towed any other brand trailers comparable in size? The ethanol free fuel can't account for that entire mpg improvement.

I haven’t towed any other comparable trailers with the expedition. But being only 9’ tall and with nicely rounded edges everywhere, I understand it’s a massively different experience than towing a fibreglass trailer.

OP
OP
J

Jskane125

Reaction score
Did about 300 miles to Maryland this weekend. 3/4 tank high octane and 1/4 tank low. Averaged about 11.9. Better. Not many hills thought. I also pulled in 4 wheel drive.