After Forscan headlights won't turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to hook up the OBDLink EX to the 2016 Expedition tonight. Increasing the number of blinks for the turn signal worked well so I went to the module where the PDF with notes by Lokiwolf, MCostin and ExpeditionAndy said hyperflash would be disabled.
BdyCM 726-13-01 & 726-14-01. Entering 0000 and write seems to have messed up my headlights. Even with the ignition key out and car locked the headlights won't turn off. I had to rotate the dial to turn them off.

Any ideas what went wrong? I'm going to go see what restore does. Hopefully it lets the headlights stay off.
*I did save all before I started tinkering.
@ExpeditionAndy @LokiWolf
*12 minutes later update on me being dumb and dumber
1. I was distracted getting out of the Expy and left the keys in the ignition turned to the on position. Perhaps the headlights being on was a message that I didn't understand
2. This past Sunday when the wife's replacement Expy key was being made at Batteries Plus - he said the Expy's battery was down to 330 CCA. Well, tinkering with it via Forscan and the headlights staying on seems to have fully killed the battery. It read 9.9 volts.

So when the battery is charged up a bit and my keys aren't sitting in the ignition...we'll see what happens.

Car started no problem. I decided to experiment and leave the charger connected while the engine was running. Did that for about 40 minutes and boy the battery sure charges quick with the alternator and charger going at the same time.

Moral of the story appears to be - hook up the charger before messing with Forscan or replace the battery.

Attachments

• FORScan 2015 Expedition.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I decided to hook up the OBDLink EX to the 2016 Expedition tonight. Increasing the number of blinks for the turn signal worked well so I went to the module where the PDF with notes by Lokiwolf, MCostin and ExpeditionAndy said hyperflash would be disabled.
BdyCM 726-13-01 & 726-14-01. Entering 0000 and write seems to have messed up my headlights. Even with the ignition key out and car locked the headlights won't turn off. I had to rotate the dial to turn them off.

Any ideas what went wrong? I'm going to go see what restore does. Hopefully it lets the headlights stay off.
*I did save all before I started tinkering.
@ExpeditionAndy @LokiWolf
*12 minutes later update on me being dumb and dumber
1. I was distracted getting out of the Expy and left the keys in the ignition turned to the on position. Perhaps the headlights being on was a message that I didn't understand
2. This past Sunday when the wife's replacement Expy key was being made at Batteries Plus - he said the Expy's battery was down to 330 CCA. Well, tinkering with it via Forscan and the headlights staying on seems to have fully killed the battery. It read 9.9 volts.

So when the battery is charged up a bit and my keys aren't sitting in the ignition...we'll see what happens.

Car started no problem. I decided to experiment and leave the charger connected while the engine was running. Did that for about 40 minutes and boy the battery sure charges quick with the alternator and charger going at the same time.

Moral of the story appears to be - hook up the charger before messing with Forscan or replace the battery.

Go replace the battery! These things depend on the Electronics SO much, running low voltage is one of the easiest ways to hurt these things.

There are several battery options out there much better than the Stock Ford battery with more reserve and CCA. I am a fan of the Duralasts. The Gold or Platinum. The Platinum is an AGM.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf , do you have the most recent spreadsheet for the 15-17 expy?

I might. Honestly, I have stopped using the sheets in most cases and I am using the easy config.

Let me see if I have a link/copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go replace the battery! These things depend on the Electronics SO much, running low voltage is one of the easiest ways to hurt these things.

There are several battery options out there much better than the Stock Ford battery with more reserve and CCA. I am a fan of the Duralasts. The Gold or Platinum. The Platinum is an AGM.

@LokiWolf It is entirely your fault that I spent $200 on a battery tonight. I went and picked up a Duralast Platinum. Now if the Expy was my daily driver I'd have waited until it died on me but this is the wife's. Plus, even after letting it charge all night, there was a definite lag to it starting up.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf It is entirely your fault that I spent $200 on a battery tonight. I went and picked up a Duralast Platinum. Now if the Expy was my daily driver I'd have waited until it died on me but this is the wife's. Plus, even after letting it charge all night, there was a definite lag to it starting up.

Happy Wife, Happy Life!!! If it had left her stranded you would have never heard the end of it...HaHa!

Great battery!

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf you said you have been using the easy config, have you turned hyperflashing off with the easy config, I believe it is the one I am looking at but just want to make sure before I keep writing changes to my bdycm. Thanks

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf you said you have been using the easy config, have you turned hyperflashing off with the easy config, I believe it is the one I am looking at but just want to make sure before I keep writing changes to my bdycm. Thanks

Yep, worked great. The setting for hyper flash for LED’s is “Bulb Out Detection”, you want it off for the lights you swapped.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Also just out of curiosity have you ran into an issue of bricking or rewriting to much to the point where it wont rewrite? Just so I know to watch for it if it is a possibility. Thanks

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Also just out of curiosity have you ran into an issue of bricking or rewriting to much to the point where it wont rewrite? Just so I know to watch for it if it is a possibility. Thanks

No issues. I did 100 plus writes/edits to my 16 Edge, no issues.