After replacing UCA, bounces and wallows down the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Expedition XL 4x4 with the 4.6l V8 and 197K on the clock. The suspension sounded like an old buckboard wagon, creaking and groaning.I tore it down last weekend, replacing the 4wd hub, the sway arm link, the lower ball joint, and the upper control arm. The noise is gone! No longer do the neighbors cringe as I approach. But here's the thing: now it bounces and rocks so bad I can't drive it to work. My fave Mech is on vacation, so I don't want to take it to a different shop; but I also started to think a bit...it's like it's bouncing on the springs. When I put the UCA on, I had it set high to make it easier to hook to the cast plate that connects the UCA, LCA, and hub. Did I index the UCA improperly to where it's not damping at all? I could use some help... I have more time than money to solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmm that's interesting because you didn't touch the shock/spring, right? When you say your set the UCA high... what do you mean? Can you maybe take a picture of your hub assembly, showing the suspension parts, especially the parts you changed? Perhaps we can get a visual of what's wrong?

Should look something like this...

IMG_6250.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I'm reaching here, but you don't happen to have a torsion bar 2003 suspension, vs the coil spring one in picture do you. 2003 was last year for it. Please take some pics, and post them. I'm sure yours is 2004 , and my question is moot, but I always think outside the box.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I have the same type as shown by Vancouver Bob. Yes, the sway bar link is connected. What I'm referring to is on the rubber iso-mounts on the UCA, there are 3 sets of raised rubber crescents... I'm thinking that since I set it high to make it easier to attach to the aluminum whatever it is assembly (hub mount?), I have it indexed too high to provide damping resistance to the shock. And yes, I did have to pull the shock to get the super long UCA bolts out. I'm going down to the shop/storage and pull the wheel and shock, and reset the UCA. I recall when I removed it that it was in the down position, making it a real mother to force up previously. I think that's the problem... if I turn out to be right, I'll let y'all know.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you nailed it, its just your time on a Saturday. Let us know if that helps, I'm curious too.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ogre20012001

Reaction score
One thing to remember on the vehicle is to get all your bolts I place but don’t tighten them or torque them till the vehicle is on the ground supporting its own weight.
If you tighten them with the suspension in the air it puts the bushings in a bind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk