Aftermarket Backup Camera w/Extra LED Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWhitley

Reaction score
I realize that this is not what many people would want to do, but thought I would share it anyway. Just completed the latest mod to "Sadie" our 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer vehicle(my wife named her). With the aftermarket head unit came a backup camera which didn't cast much illumination at night here in the sticks. So, since my parking sensors were not operating anyway, I modified one sensor trim piece to mount the camera and the remaining sensors became housings for red LED bulbs to increase illumination. They only light up while in Reverse gear by tapping into the trailer harness for reverse lighting and the ground as well. Took about 2 hours to rebuild the harnesses as well. Works like a charm and has tripled the illumination for a much better picture on the head unit. 7bf9ea961e31ad361ea3ae1d598c2094.jpg0aad07392e1e968e60b2dbee674a3e2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't really need it for a decent camera, too much actually makes it slightly worse... LED bulbs in backup lights and license plate lights will do the trick

For mirrors only, otoh, LED pods are the way

OP
OP
D

DWhitley

Reaction score
I know and freely admit that it is a POS cheap camera. I am just a firm believer in doing things nice, neat, and clean looking. Within the next two weeks, I will be touching up her looks and making it look nice as possible again and not like a 2o-something-year-old vehicle. It will also give me time to plan out the next group of enhancements. It takes me a while to figure out each plan since I can't help overdoing things on installs. Such as making wire looms, finding the best way to hide things, how to be a little unique, not noticeable when not operating, a high level of control (for ambiance lighting), minimize splicing into OEM looms, and safely done right the first time.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer
Modifications
Suspension Conversion (prior owner)
Added Battery Charging Quick Connect
Added Accessory Power Block
Installed Footwell LED Lighting
Aftermarket Head Unit
Backup Camera w/Extra LEDs
6-Disc Changer Removed
Installed Satellite Radio
Runningboard Lights changed to color LED
LED Headlights Bulb Changeover
Installed Semi-permanent Cell Charger in Front Dash

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the camera the white light we see on the passenger bumper? Would it not fit on the plate? They hide pretty well, my dad was standing behind my 03 a couple weeks ago and said I thought you had a camera on this. Was literally staring at it but at an inch wide and blending in w letters on plate it might as well be invisible.

The only gripe I have with offset mounted cameras is dont forget the centerline of your image is a good 15" off from actual. Makes a huge difference when you snug up against something.

Interesting choice on the led locations. Any before/after pics?

OP
OP
D

DWhitley

Reaction score
Yes the white is the camera. I did play with positioning it between the bumper and the hitch receiver, but I didn't like the higher exposure to the elements along with it being a much higher risk for accidental breakage. Current placement is less noticeable when not on (but yes still plainly visible if looking for it), yet much more sheltered from elements (especially winter snow).

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer
Modifications
Suspension Conversion (prior owner)
Added Battery Charging Quick Connect
Added Accessory Power Block
Installed Footwell LED Lighting
Aftermarket Head Unit
Backup Camera w/Extra LEDs
6-Disc Changer Removed
Installed Satellite Radio
Runningboard Lights changed to color LED
LED Headlights Bulb Changeover
Installed Semi-permanent Cell Charger in Front Dash

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with a decent quality Pioneer system w/ backup camera. It does VERY well on it's own, especially in total darkness. Like someone else said, too much light is bad for them, and I can surely say that is true in my case. I also have LED pods mounted under the bumper for trailer hook ups, backing up, or whatever I need light for. I have to leave the pods off when backing up because it totally drowns out the camera and turns the screen red. Camera is right above the plate, and even the plate lights will sometimes interfere with the picture.

.20200727_152708.jpg