Aftermarket Gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody installed aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges ? What ports did you use ? Or anybody that knows ??

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't have an answer for you and not sure what you mean by "ports". Only thing I wanted to mention is that I think the oil pressure gauge on my 01 5.4 is fake news. Just a gauge instead of an idiot light. It is either off or reads perfect. Thinking you will have to replace the sending unit if you are going to put a real oil pressure gauge in. Good Luck

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could install a sandwich plate adapter for the oil filter and get oil temp and pressure.

An OBDII gauge like an UltraGauge or ScanGauge will get you water temp and transmission temp.

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a SCT X4 tuner plugged into it right now, but it doesn't monitor oil pressure, and I want to do away with it. So I'm putting oil pressure, water temp, and trans temp gauges on the A post. I'm pretty sure I can put a T on the water temp sensor behind the thermostat, and I'll go into the test port on the trans, but damn if I see anywhere to get oil pressure.

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So that's where it is. That should be absolutely fantastic trying to get a T fitting into there....NOT. Great.

Thx Jim

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ExplorerTom has the answer. There are "plates" made that sandwich between the filter and motor and provide taps for a pressure sensor.

After looking at things, I think that's going to be the best option. After getting a good look at my sensor, I'm not looking forward to pulling it (and likely breaking it), then trying to configure the plumbing to allow the use of the sensor and braided line for the sending unit. With the "plate", all I have to do is bolt it down, reinstall the oil filter, and attach the braided line. I ordered the the Glowshift plate, so hopefully that will be ok. I didn't see any bad reviews (that I could find). I also ordered a new Autometer A-pillar pod for a 99 F150. Already got that delivered, & it fits PERFECT....like it was OEM. I think I'm gonna go get a junk yard A-Pillar cover and attach the pod to it so I can keep the original in case I decide to take all this out later on.

I think the temp sensor might be a little bit of a pain in the ass though. At least it's up top where it's not to bad to screw with.

I can't wait to get all the parts in, and get this all painted up & installed. The only down side to this is that I'm going to have about $600 in this pod setup. Oh well, I've been around long enough to know if it has **** or tires, eventually it's going to be a pain in the ass, and cost $$$$ if you want to keep it looking nice.

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got around to putting in my gauges today. The pillar pod turned out pretty good. I mounted the trans temp sensor in the driver side test port, and installed the coolant temp sensor in a driver side water jacket. The water jacket port was suggested by someone on a forum (don't remember which one). I have a plate adaptor for the oil pressure sensor, but I didn't get around to doing it today. I've got about 1500 miles before it needs an oil change, but I might try to get it on this weekend...we'll see.

I drove around for a couple of hours to compare the gauge temps with my SCT programmer. The trans temp hung 2-5 degrees cooler than what the SCT showed. Not bad considering how everybody claims the test ports are not accurate. The coolant temp seriously surprised me. It hung a consistent 30 degrees cooler than the SCT showed until it 195 degrees. I'm assuming the thermostat opened at 195. Anyway, once the SCT hit 195, the gauge almost instantly went to 30 degrees HIGHER than the SCT showed...and stayed there. Interesting to say the least, and I'm not happy with that. I'll probably need to find a better place to mount that sensor.

Any way, here's a couple of pics of the install.

20200907_144258.jpg

The coolant sensor mounted in the water jacket

20200907_104427.jpg

The trans temp sensor

20200907_104506.jpg