Aftermarket headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Varel Freeman

Reaction score
My lady friend recently bought a nice used '13 KR. Compared to my car with HID lights, the Expy is weak at night. Any advice of aftermarket headlight upgrades?

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought and installed these back in July. They are super bright, easy to install and durable.

1644554813020.png

Attachments

• 1644555084911.png
    1644555084911.png
    900.3 KB · Views: 8

B52 Gunner

Reaction score

This is right off the Diode Dynamics website! LEDs are NOT DOT legal for anything other than Fog Lamps!​

SAFETY RECALL NOTICE for SL1 LED HEADLIGHT BULBS​

USA CUSTOMERS ONLY:
Diode Dynamics, pursuant to the National Highway Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Part 573 of the Code of Federal Regulations, has determined that SL1 LED replacement headlight bulbs sold by Diode Dynamics fail to conform with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety (FMVSS) Standard No. 108 “Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment.” The bulbs do not meet dimensional requirements for replaceable light sources, exceed limitations on luminous flux set forth in the standard and may cause increased or excessive glare for oncoming drivers. There are no known incidents related to the regulatory non-conformance.
As a remedy, Diode Dynamics is offering to replace the SL1 LED headlamp bulbs (Model Numbers DD0215P, DD0216P, DD0217P, DD0218P, DD0219P, DD0323P, and DD0340P) with halogen bulbs which comply with the requirements of FMVSS 108.
To obtain the replacement bulbs, please fill out the form below, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ORIGINAL ORDER NUMBER, YOU MUST SUBMIT A RECEIPT OR OTHER PROOF OF PURCHASE WITH THIS RECALL FORM. To do so, you may either scan and upload the receipt or proof of purchase below, or you may print this page and mail it, along with a receipt or other proof of purchase, to: Diode Dynamics SL1 Recall, 3870 Millstone Parkway, St. Charles, MO 63301.
When the replacement bulbs are mailed to you, you will also be sent a prepaid label so that you may return the SL1 LED bulbs to Diode Dynamics in the same box in which the replacement bulbs are sent to you. We will then properly dispose of the bulbs.
We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. If Diode Dynamics fails to provide the replacement bulbs, without charge to you, within a reasonable time after you submit a recall form, you may submit a written complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 7th St., SW, Washington, DC 20590, or call 1-888-327-4236. Thank you for your attention to this important recall.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score

This is right off the Diode Dynamics website! LEDs are NOT DOT legal for anything other than Fog Lamps!​

USA CUSTOMERS ONLY:
Diode Dynamics, pursuant to the National Highway Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Part 573 of the Code of Federal Regulations, has determined that SL1 LED replacement headlight bulbs sold by Diode Dynamics fail to conform with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety (FMVSS) Standard No. 108 “Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment.” The bulbs do not meet dimensional requirements for replaceable light sources, exceed limitations on luminous flux set forth in the standard and may cause increased or excessive glare for oncoming drivers. There are no known incidents related to the regulatory non-conformance.
As a remedy, Diode Dynamics is offering to replace the SL1 LED headlamp bulbs (Model Numbers DD0215P, DD0216P, DD0217P, DD0218P, DD0219P, DD0323P, and DD0340P) with halogen bulbs which comply with the requirements of FMVSS 108.
To obtain the replacement bulbs, please fill out the form below, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ORIGINAL ORDER NUMBER, YOU MUST SUBMIT A RECEIPT OR OTHER PROOF OF PURCHASE WITH THIS RECALL FORM. To do so, you may either scan and upload the receipt or proof of purchase below, or you may print this page and mail it, along with a receipt or other proof of purchase, to: Diode Dynamics SL1 Recall, 3870 Millstone Parkway, St. Charles, MO 63301.
When the replacement bulbs are mailed to you, you will also be sent a prepaid label so that you may return the SL1 LED bulbs to Diode Dynamics in the same box in which the replacement bulbs are sent to you. We will then properly dispose of the bulbs.
We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. If Diode Dynamics fails to provide the replacement bulbs, without charge to you, within a reasonable time after you submit a recall form, you may submit a written complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 7th St., SW, Washington, DC 20590, or call 1-888-327-4236. Thank you for your attention to this important recall.
I run their low and high beam SL1 LEDs in my 2016. Never returned to stock after their recall came out and I’ve never been pulled over. The aftermarket LEDs I have in my 2020 F150 with reflector housings are easily twice as bright as the Diode dynamics in my expedition and they are DOT compliant. They are from LASfit. I’m not worried. Diode dynamics just won’t sell them anymore that’s all

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score

No recall on the Torchbeams. That being said, apparently the general rule is if you have a halogen bulb currently installed and you want to upgrade to LED, it won't be road legal. It's classed as a kind of headlight modification, as you're switching halogen technology to LED technology. LED Fog lamps as well as any LED bulbs used in your brake or sidelights are not road legal, either. I have not had any issue with my LED Torchbeams. No blinded drivers flashing me thinking my brightbeams are on. Extremely happy with my LED Torchbeams, but buyer beware for what its worth.

devconk

Reaction score
It's dangerous to other drivers to put LED lights in reflector (Stock) housings. You're literally blinding them...