1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahhh, that popping sound when you turn the wheels all the way

Discussion in '1st Gen - 1997 - 2002' started by Machete, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Machete

Machete My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L

Every once on a while, not always, turning the wheel all the way to park or back out of a parking space I hear and I think feel that pop sound. Wonder what that could be??

Also, I check my oil level and color constantly. This week from Tuesday till today I’ve driven over 600 miles all highway.

I use non ethanol exclusively and I have about 3000 miles on this oil (sino). I notice I turns from that light honey color to a darker color but never black pretty quickly like already.

Could this be because I run non ethanol gas? Ethanol being a good cleaning agent. Am I carboning up my oil sooner? Hmmm.

2. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

Ball joint and/or tie rod end.

Machete and JamaicaJoe like this.
  3. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

Or CV if 4wd.

Starting to nickel and dime you.....

mnachreiner86, Machete and JamaicaJoe like this.
  4. Machete

Yeah. Nickel here dime there. Soon time to find another runner for the highways.

But then again ties and/or ball joints aren’t expensive and I know if I spend $20k on something used I’ll run it into the ground even faster.

This truck just runs hard for me. This week from Tuesday to Thursday I did almost 600 miles driving up and back the west coast Florida in 90 degree heat at 80 mph and no oil consumption.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  5. Machete

What about my ethanol theory?

6. mnachreiner86

mnachreiner86 Full Access Members

How’s your PCV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Scott Carden

Scott Carden Full Access Members

I use e-85 almost exclusively and my engine is clean and no emissions issues. I also use ford synthetic blend oil and filter and I think that’s important

8. Casey Carver

Casey Carver New Member

Doesn’t sound fuel related. Mine does the same thing and I’m due for upper and lower ball joints.

9. coupe11

coupe11 Full Access Members

When I had a bad (worn pretty bad) upper ball joint on an S10 Blazer it would pop at low speed when turning the steering wheel - and I could feel it in the streering wheel.

When I had bad u-joints in the front of the 1990 F150 4WD I could hear it when backing up/moving forward at low speed and turning the steering wheel - like back up between some trees in the woods to set up a camp. It only did that with the hubs locked in and in 4WD. Loud popping noise I could hear with the windows open.

The one time I had a bad constant velocity joint is was more of a clicking (or very subdued popping??) noise at low speed when turning to the left (right side).