Ahhh, that popping sound when you turn the wheels all the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The popping sound only happens sometimes. I’m sure it’s announcing early warning of worn ball joint.
My fuel comment was unrelated side note.

I only use non ethanol gas. I did learn ethanol fuel does burn cleaner meaning less exhaust but not that I care. My truck loves the added pop of non ethanol.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
If you're 1st gen, you probably know that AWD 'bucking' sensation you get from making particularly sharp low-speed turns when accelerating on slick pavement, loose leaves, etc. I'm assuming it's not that.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Nah. It’s a bushing somewhere but everything is tight so I’ll leave well enough alone. Now it doesn’t do it every time.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s fair related I also think it’s steering related have you checked your gearbox to make sure that it is not going out because popping noise is a symptom of a replacement

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s fair related I also think it’s steering related have you checked your gearbox to make sure that it is not going out because popping noise is a symptom of a replacement

The pop is coming from front driver side wheel area. I’ll have to look into that but I’m done pumping money. I just put all 4 new cats w pipes and all fluids flushed.

She drives as she is till 300k then I’ll either retire her to just a tow rig or sell it on eBay.

She runs great though at 236,***.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s either that or CV joint. But either way both parts are cheap to replace. I replace both of those on mine and I’m running around 300,000 on my motor. I wouldn’t trade my 1st gen for nothing.