Air Bag Suspension and / or Rear Seay Bar Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeAries

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition XLT with tow package and am looking at adding an air bag suspension system or upgrading the rear sway bar to reduce squat and swaying when towing. It does okay now but would like to make driving it more comfortable. Currently has stock tires and shocks, would like to wait until the tires need replacing before upgrading to heavier duty towing / load tires, car has 23,000 miles on it. Not sure what brands make an air bag suspension system for the vehicle, most websites I have visited say not available for this year. Also not sure what the best sway bar brand would be or which option would reduce trailer sway the most. I have not done a lot of car upgrading in the past and pretty much have no knowledge. Any input is appreciated!

Reaction score
Check out helwig sway bar (consider getting new end links to attach it at same time).
Sumo springs for squat.
For better towing consider a weight distribution hitch

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are no air bag systems for this generation expedition. The hellwig sway bar is noted by others as being a very good upgrade over the stock unit. If you’re dealing with squat it would be best to invest in a good weight distributing hitch to better distribute the tongue weight across the vehicles front and rear axles.

OP
OP
D

DodgeAries

Reaction score
Check out helwig sway bar (consider getting new end links to attach it at same time).
Sumo springs for squat.
For better towing consider a weight distribution hitch
So I found both, it looks like Hellwig makes a 22mm and a 1.5 in diameter, any thought on what would be best? Not sure how much the difference each would make on the ride. I found Hellwig adjustable end links, those best? Or would a non adjustable one be better?

Knut

Reaction score
I went from the stock Micheline tires 275*65 18" to Cooper XL load rating: 275*55 20" got new rims which sits a little bit further out and are 1" wider than stock rim. It made a huge improvement in stability, especially when I'm towing my Passport 2950 (about 6800-7000 Lbs loaded).

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went from the stock Micheline tires 275*65 18" to Cooper XL load rating: 275*55 20" got new rims which sits a little bit further out and are 1" wider than stock rim. It made a huge improvement in stability, especially when I'm towing my Passport 2950 (about 6800-7000 Lbs loaded).
The wider wheels also made your suspension spring rate and dampening rate SOFTER by making them wider. Towing usually wants stiffer spring rates....

Knut

Reaction score
The wider wheels also made your suspension spring rate and dampening rate SOFTER by making them wider. Towing usually wants stiffer spring rates....
Certainly does not feel and act that way.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new tires have less sidewall and are a stiffer sidewall so it would have had a pretty big impact on stability. The Stock michelins on 18's are super soft sidewalls and def felt squirmy to me when towing. They rode really nice but they are a super soft tire. Going lower profile and stiff sidewall would be a massive difference.

Knut

Reaction score
The new tires have less sidewall and are a stiffer sidewall so it would have had a pretty big impact on stability. The Stock michelins on 18's are super soft sidewalls and def felt squirmy to me when towing. They rode really nice but they are a super soft tire. Going lower profile and stiff sidewall would be a massive difference.
Exactly my experience also.