Air blowing at random speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCexpedition

Reaction score
My wife has a 2016 Expedition EL Limited and the air conditioning and heat have been malfunctioning. I have put in a new blower motor and a new blower motor resistor and that has helped some of the problems but now it is blowing at random speeds. It will blow very low for several seconds and then it will start blowing very hard for several seconds, then drop back down to hardly blowing at all. Any suggestions on what is causing this or where to start looking?

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
My wife has a 2016 Expedition EL Limited and the air conditioning and heat have been malfunctioning. I have put in a new blower motor and a new blower motor resistor and that has helped some of the problems but now it is blowing at random speeds. It will blow very low for several seconds and then it will start blowing very hard for several seconds, then drop back down to hardly blowing at all. Any suggestions on what is causing this or where to start looking?
Is it on auto setting?

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Similar thing happening the past couple days.
What's really strange is that when I turn off the system, the blower goes into high speed for awhile.

OP
OP
S

SCexpedition

Reaction score
Similar thing happening the past couple days.
What's really strange is that when I turn off the system, the blower goes into high speed for awhile.
Exact same thing happened on hers. It stopped when I replaced the blower motor and blower motor resistor but now there is no rhyme or reason to the speed of the fan.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Did you replace this part also: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

Over the past few years, there have been numerous posts on this forum involving problems with this original part, and it has been corrected by replacing this part also.,

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to get actual voltage readings at motor, replacing parts without troubleshooting rarely fixes the problem. Was wiring making good connection and not melted at the resistor harness?

sthomp99

Reaction score
There are several of these threads. I am experience similar trouble with 2016 XL. Blower powered with ignition ON (HVAC: Off), Relays Good, Blower "Resistor" Good. Work around for now is ground blower ground (Now Blower: High with Ignition ON). Problem likely CCM25 the HVAC Control Module. No luck sourcing $200+, salvage yard next... Wiring diagram found here on another tread...

Attachments

• EATC.1.pdf
    191.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Motorcraft CCM25.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 2

sthomp99

Reaction score
My replaced Blower Resistor was BAD. The DORMAN 973-399 is a great solution with beefy 10ga wire connector included. The GOOD Blower Resistor for "Electronic Manual Climate Control" fixed the issue straight away.

Attachments

• Blower Motor Resistor Kit Dorman 973-399.pdf
    863.9 KB · Views: 3