Air Conditioner Problem Fixed FINALLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Folks I am posting this in hopes that it can help you all not to have to go through what I had to for a year with and air conditioning issue with my 2005 Expedition.

Issue:
My A/C started to not be cold so I took it to a trusted mechanic who diagnosed my issue as needing a Freon charge. When the $125.00 service was done the trusted mechanic said that my A/C compressor was week and needed to be replaced (after charge blowing coldish) So I purchased a complete kit (not from ford but a good kit anyways) and had it replaced (parts and labor $1200)

Issue 2:
After job was complete the system ran cool but not cold like I expected then in a month and a half the system was blowing hot again. Many trip back to the not anymore trusted mechanic produced no resolution and the same blowing coldish to hot air (and ALLOT OF FRUSTRATION)

Now to the year later when he finally took my Expy to a friend mechanic of his who diagnosed my issue as a bad condenser and clutch fan.

Now down to the real bend me over solution. I had the not trusted mechanic repair the parts that was the issue and he only replaced the clutch fan and not the condenser>>> Guess what with only the clutch fan replaced my A/C works just as good as it did before all the issues.

Long story short replacing the $100 clutch fan solved my issue I ended up spending close to 2k for in parts, time, gas and agony when it was just the clutch fan.

Hope this helps someone out there!!

REVISION; Finally fix part 2

Cautionary tale of bad mechanics Ive never had this much trouble before. But my Fixed A/C stopped working again I took it to a new mechanic who after alot of trouble shooting found the problem.

Which was again the Clutch Fan that was replace 10 days ago by the bad mechanic. Turns out Expy's on certain parts do not like aftermarket part which is what the bad mechanic installed (Auto Zone part) so after another $700 and a factory ford clutch fan It seems to be working properly.

So if an issue pop for the Ford part.

Last edited:

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sad. Most mechanics are just parts replacement monkeys nowadays. No one knows how to troubleshoot anymore. I blame it on video games.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sux, but I just had my AC recharged with 10 oz of freon today, and when the mechanic was inspecting it after the charge, realized that the fan clutch was going out too. Ford wants $375 to replace it, but I found the clutch online for $100 and am considering doing it myself.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sux, but I just had my AC recharged with 10 oz of freon today, and when the mechanic was inspecting it after the charge, realized that the fan clutch was going out too. Ford wants $375 to replace it, but I found the clutch online for $100 and am considering doing it myself.

Personally I would too. Or look into electric fans. Then you can remove it all together.

OP
OP
Jb14

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new clutch fan that was installed (by that mechanic) really robs the truck of power so pick wisely

chubbadunes

Reaction score
I really hope this works. I have dumped $1000 in labor and parts replacing my compressor with an Autozone kit, 2 months later it was blowing hot again. So replaced it again 3 weeks ago and here I am again sweating my ass off in Phoenix, az 110 degrees out, I'm so pissed. I'm glad I decided to look online and found this post, we'll see if replacing the clutch fan and condenser works.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is really sad is that with a little knowledge on how auto ac works the fan clutch failing shows up as higher pressure on the high side. To test whether the fan is moving enough air through the condenser all you have to do is put a shop fan blowing into the condenser when the system is running. If the pressure drops into range, you have found a problem.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sad. Most mechanics are just parts replacement monkeys nowadays. No one knows how to troubleshoot anymore. I blame it on video games.

You'd be surprised how much videogames can actually teach you! My brother wants to be a mechanic so he's playing Car mechanic simulator 2018, and wow that game is pretty darn in-depth

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll be amazed at how much you learn by reading and comprehending books. There is a difference between video games, computer based training (cbt) and books. Videos are usually the abridged version of a book.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Not everyone learns the same way. Some people can read a book and learn, others are more visual. Hands on is the best method for many. Each has to find what works for yourself. Some of the most successful people I know were near failures in the formal education they attempted. Myself, I learn by making mistakes .. thats why I dont own a sailboat!

https://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/