Air Conditioner Problem Fixed FINALLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Terence I used to work on those Prince's. The biggest issue was a part called a selenium rectifier, that was mounted below the headlight. Vibration from 500/650/750 twins was like riding a paint shaker with handlebars. When they came loose, the charging stopped, the headlight went dim. The Stators for the charging system also were trash. I picked and choose when I took on any Triumph/BSA repairs. My bread and butter repairs were Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki. When you worked on them, you diagnosed, you fixed, you got paid! The British bikes, you saw again, that was a gimmey!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

David E

Reaction score
Having to do my whole AC system soon (once it all arrives) your post offered some great information! However I did wanna say that I truly believe that one should always consider the fact that most mechanics don't do diagnostics as they should (that doesn't make them bad just how the industry is now). Car AC besides it sitting in the car does not have much to do with car mechanics and that's one reason that many don't really know how it actually works and how to diagnose it. (As Stamp11127 mentioned) Same goes for car electrical systems, yet another area where many mechanics fail to properly diagnose and save money on parts and labor. For me getting the shop manual for the Expedition was the best move I could do being it also includes trouble shooting and diagnostics processes. That however takes time and patience -- something car shops do not have in abundance. I never really wanted to do work on my cars yet after experiencing similar of what you describe above so many times I found myself losing trust and rather do my own homework and get what I need to do the job.
When I redone the AC Compressor and many other parts of the system to my minivan I ended up paying around $800 (to include the parts and a recovery tank, machine, scale, two sets of gauges and a vacuum machine.) Many years later the ac is as cold as it can be, and now I have to do the same on my Expedition. Was definitely worth it. (that is without all the other people I let use the tools when ever they need)
Its quite a journey to take care of a car by yourself and if one is willing to do the homework and study whats needed (along with great communities like ours) the gain is priceless.
We can be thankful that information is out there and great people are willing to share from their experience and knowledge so we are not captives by an industry that is lack of basic function to provide the service it should.

happyjoemay

Reaction score
Yep still here not sure about beating the Oem Drum just stating my experience with this vehicle. Love the truck but very similar to a 98 land Rover I owned that certain aftermarket they just chew up. I am an aftermarket fan coming from mostly GM owned vehicles where aftermarket parts just worked, so going aftermarket on the Ford seemed like no big deal, which I have found out is a big deal. So yes I now spend the big bucks up front.
Curious, I too had a 1998 Land Rover. A discovery. Probably my most loved vehicle ever but I have great affection for my Expedition. Thanks for the wealth of information generated by this thread.

happyjoemay

Reaction score
Curious, I too had a 1998 Land Rover. A discovery. Probably my most loved vehicle ever but I have great affection for my Expedition. Thanks for the wealth of information generated by this thread.
I have just encountered the death of my AC so I have no experiences to share, yet.