Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Opinions seem to be all over the place, but from what I can glean there's not a lot of love for K&N Air Filters. General consensus is go with OEM. OEM (Motorcraft) was engineered for the engine and should stay with the engine.

That said, some proponents of K&Ns said they're great if your racing or doing other performance kinda driving, but for daily drivers go with stock filters.

Leery of dealer prices. Some after market places say their filters are just as good as OEM, but who knows?

Any recommendations? TIA

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a K&N in my 2014. I went to clean it the first time after about 30K miles. I wasn't impressed with the end result. Threw it out and picked up a Motorcraft for less than 20 bucks at Advance Auto. There is literally no noticeable difference, if anything I think the stock one is quieter.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&N makes more power by flowing more air (and dirt) which leans out the pre-programmed fuel table trims when you switch to Open Loop ECU operation. All other times, a K&N is just flowing more air (and dirt) while the engine is producing 75 hp to drive down the street (I made up the 75 hp number).

So if you drive in Open Loop a lot, a K&N might help you get you where you’re going faster.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
K&N and other oiled filters= more money and maintenance. The filter cleaner and oil has to be done and if you over do the oil by a little bit, you end up cleaning your MAF sensor and throttle body. Do to little oil and you let dust in.

Cheap filters=less money and maintenance. just put in

and like hound said,
There is literally no noticeable difference
and unless you travel around everywhere WFO there is no difference.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always bought the STP or Motorcraft Filters from autozone whichever is in stock. They carry both near me. Never had an issue with either. I change them more often than most because when I go down to the cabin there are a lot of dirt roads....I generally get 10-15k miles or so.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always just used whatever name brand filter was on sale at the time (eBay, Amazon, RockAuto, Advance Auto [were cheap w/ rebate]). Motorcraft, Purolator, AC Delco, etc.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always just used whatever name brand filter was on sale at the time (eBay, Amazon, RockAuto, Advance Auto [were cheap w/ rebate]). Motorcraft, Purolator, AC Delco, etc.

This. Just get a decent brand filter and go. Motorcraft filters are fairly cheap. You can buy about 15 of them for what a K&N intake costs. If you aren't doing an intake their filter is not going to be any sort of benefit anyway.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&N only benefits the sellers with all their hype ........worthless. Also all Ford trucks already have a cold air intake ......look a little deeper.