1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Filter

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by rollinstone, Mar 6, 2021.

1. rollinstone

rollinstone Full Access Members

Opinions seem to be all over the place, but from what I can glean there's not a lot of love for K&N Air Filters. General consensus is go with OEM. OEM (Motorcraft) was engineered for the engine and should stay with the engine.

That said, some proponents of K&Ns said they're great if your racing or doing other performance kinda driving, but for daily drivers go with stock filters.

Leery of dealer prices. Some after market places say their filters are just as good as OEM, but who knows?

Any recommendations? TIA

2. bloodhound

bloodhound Full Access Members

I had a K&N in my 2014. I went to clean it the first time after about 30K miles. I wasn't impressed with the end result. Threw it out and picked up a Motorcraft for less than 20 bucks at Advance Auto. There is literally no noticeable difference, if anything I think the stock one is quieter.

iimagine, Yupster Dog and rollinstone like this.
  3. 1970Maverick

1970Maverick Full Access Members

in my 2017 xlt I use the cheapest brand name air filter and change it every 5K mi when I change the oil and filter. this time it's a Fram extra guard $10.60. I've used OEM, STP, Fram in the past.

4. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

K&N makes more power by flowing more air (and dirt) which leans out the pre-programmed fuel table trims when you switch to Open Loop ECU operation. All other times, a K&N is just flowing more air (and dirt) while the engine is producing 75 hp to drive down the street (I made up the 75 hp number).

So if you drive in Open Loop a lot, a K&N might help you get you where you’re going faster.

hwystr1 likes this.
  5. Yupster Dog

Yupster Dog Super Moderator Staff Member

K&N and other oiled filters= more money and maintenance. The filter cleaner and oil has to be done and if you over do the oil by a little bit, you end up cleaning your MAF sensor and throttle body. Do to little oil and you let dust in.

Cheap filters=less money and maintenance. just put in

and like hound said,
    and unless you travel around everywhere WFO there is no difference.

bloodhound and Trainmaster like this.
  6. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 That One Member Supporting Member

I’ve always bought the STP or Motorcraft Filters from autozone whichever is in stock. They carry both near me. Never had an issue with either. I change them more often than most because when I go down to the cabin there are a lot of dirt roads....I generally get 10-15k miles or so.

7. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

I have always just used whatever name brand filter was on sale at the time (eBay, Amazon, RockAuto, Advance Auto [were cheap w/ rebate]). Motorcraft, Purolator, AC Delco, etc.

8. Aspen03

Aspen03 Full Access Members

This. Just get a decent brand filter and go. Motorcraft filters are fairly cheap. You can buy about 15 of them for what a K&N intake costs. If you aren't doing an intake their filter is not going to be any sort of benefit anyway.

9. 07navi

07navi Full Access Members

K&N only benefits the sellers with all their hype ........worthless. Also all Ford trucks already have a cold air intake ......look a little deeper.

Trainmaster likes this.
  10. justinp16ex

justinp16ex Full Access Members

Wix filters for me

1oldtimer likes this.