Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
IMG_0307[1].JPG I run the K&N in my 5.0l Mustang GT. There is a 'K&N' air filter setting on some of the tuners. That tells me, they are letting more air into the engine. Re-mapping with the tuner takes advantage of it. The OEM paper original seemed very restrictive(I posted a photo). I am getting almost 19mpg city. My mileage went up about .5mi a gallon, with the tune and air filter change. 1/2 to wide open throttle feels better. My tires break loose stomping on it at 15-20mph. So yes, maybe 3-5 cheap hp and maybe a little extra mileage. My Expedition and Lincoln have the Fram AIRHOG. They look like they were made at the K&N factory, but orange. I found them on clearance for $20. I am getting around 18.5mpg with the 32V V8 Lincoln and it runs awesome. The Expedition runs good, but mileage sucks(12mpg). The OEM paper filter, was a unique round design with a plastic nose cone. I have never seen one like it. My guess it was probably doing a fairly good job already

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Air filters do not increase hp.

Show me the data ie pulls on a dyno by objective neutral party comparing all kinds.

NFW.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, the stock filter is designed to give you all the flow you would need at any rpm and there have been people spewing hype to sell "high flowing" filters to novices since day one.

The Chairman

Reaction score
I had not heard of the Project Farm guy. So I looked up his video: Interesting test. Not perfectly scientific, but pretty fair. His results show:
1. The K&N filter was considerably better than all others tested in performance: Less pressure drop, higher flow and fastest 0-60 time on the test vehicle.
2. In his filtration test, not so well. His test was a bit different in that he just dumped particulates right on the filter.
So overall, over the life of the vehicle: K&N was cheaper, performed better (+HP), but might not have cleaned the air as well.
Those of us with high performance vehicles can feel #1 as soon as it’s installed. This is the first test I have seen that proves it.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Snake oil. So much wrong w that YouTube not worth going into it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Snake o
I had not heard of the Project Farm guy. So I looked up his video: Interesting test. Not perfectly scientific, but pretty fair. His results show:
1. The K&N filter was considerably better than all others tested in performance: Less pressure drop, higher flow and fastest 0-60 time on the test vehicle.
2. In his filtration test, not so well. His test was a bit different in that he just dumped particulates right on the filter.
So overall, over the life of the vehicle: K&N was cheaper, performed better (+HP), but might not have cleaned the air as well.
Those of us with high performance vehicles can feel #1 as soon as it’s installed. This is the first test I have seen that proves it.
Snake oil hype, that video proves nothing. Suckers keep buying so they keep selling, nothing new.

Book2

Reaction score
I do appreciate the honest test review of Project Farm: Thanks to the video, I selected and purchased Wix filters because it has the lowest amount of particles to pass, and I hope to protect my engine as much as possible. It seems not affecting the performance according to the video. I do not mind 5% or so loss of horsepower any way, as my car is powerful and fast enough for me.

Wix #49883 for the engine air filter and I am very happy about it.
It is about twice as thick as the original Ford filter and well made. The fitting to the filter box is no problem and snag fit. Highly recommended.

It was changed at just passed 10000 miles on my 2018 Limited 4WD. I am sending my car to the dealership every 6 months for checking and oil/filter change. They did not change the air filter at my last visit, apparently. It was a bit dirty, not too bad (I only drive city roads, no dirt). But I prefer a new filter as it is fairly cheap and easy to replace.
I plan to change it every 10K- 15K from now on.
I also purchased Wix filter for A/C and replaced it. The A/C filter was much similar to the Ford one.
IMG_6897.JPG IMG_6905.JPG IMG_6913.JPG

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Lots of assumptions here. Amazing how stupid Ford engineers have gotten.